Discussion Board

Smile [moved] SDK_3rd_edition_FP2 emulator freezes when running the HelloWorld under Vista

Hello Everyone,

This is my first crack at Symbian C++ and I am using the Carbide C++ environment. According to the getting started guide, I was testing the CLI based procedure of verifying that my installation was all ok and I came across this problem.

Basically, bldmake and abld work fine. I then run epoc. On running epoc under CLI, I get the emulator started but there is nothing on the display. Further more the emulator is totally non responsive and simply dies after 2-3 seconds...

Any hints? As this is my first shot, I am not too familiar with what is required with respect to logs etc. in order to further analyze the problem.

Help much appreciated!!

Ciao,
    Wink79

Super Contributor

Re: SDK_3rd_edition_FP2 emulator freezes when running the HelloWorld under Vista

Never tried on VISTA, but you can refer to wiki post http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Windows_Vista

note: for 1st timer i suggest using windowsXP to avoid frustration.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: SDK_3rd_edition_FP2 emulator freezes when running the HelloWorld under Vista

See also S60 SDK and tools on Windows Vista - a success story, it describes one emulator problem and the solution. Also, see the second link in my signature.

Carbide.c++ is an IDE, it has nothing to do with the emulator problems (provided by the SDK) or the command line tools (from the SDK, mostly). At the time you ran the CLI test Carbide.c++ was most likely not even running.

I'm moving this to the "Symbian Tools & SDKs" forum.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi Lucian,

Thanks for the prompt support. I will do some homework before coming back..

Till then,
    Ciao,
    WiNK

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [moved] SDK_3rd_edition_FP2 emulator freezes when running the HelloWorld under Vi

To much homework is boring, I know :) Do ask whenever you have a problem, we're here to help ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Arrow Re: [moved] SDK_3rd_edition_FP2 emulator freezes when running the HelloWorld under Vi

Hi Lucian,

I have moved to the "Re: S60 Emulator shutsdown immediately!" posts as there are similar problems faced by people there and it seems to be more active. Would love to see you have a crack at the problem ... About the homework, it was just a cheesy way of saying I need to do read up a little about Symbian and all before making my way any further..It certainly is going to take a while before I can get a hang of all the environment variables around...

See you on the flipflop,
    WiNK

Re: [moved] SDK_3rd_edition_FP2 emulator freezes when running the HelloWorld under Vi

Hi Lucian,

The problem was due to the RealTek HD audio device conflict..I disabled it and the emulator is now running..thanks for the links and start up guides...I owe the working to them!

Till we meet again,
    Ciao