Discussion Board

Java performance on Nokia Phones

I was just wondering whether the 7650, 6310i, 3410 or 7210 have yet been caffeine rated, or whether there is any indication of the java performance of these phones? Do any of them contain ARM's Jazelle technology and does the emulator inculded with the 7650 SDK give an accrate representation of the speed of Java running on the hardware?

Thanking you

Ed

Regular Contributor

RE: Java performance on Nokia Phones

Hi,

The emulator that seems closest to the real device in speed terms is the 7650 SDK. On my PII 350 machine, my code runs at just about the same frame rate on the emulator as on the device. If anything the real 7650 is faster! These are only my observations though, I've not done any real measurements.

Unfortunatly, the faster the PC you have, the faster the emulator is going to run. If there's one this that seems consistent over the emulators I've used, is that they're really only simulators. If only they'd all emulate the devices at the hardware level, like the PalmOS emulator, that would be nice. Most of the time you'll not be able to find out which things work quickly and which slowely until you get a real device.

With the 3410 and 6310i, the devices are much slower than the emulators on my machine. The 6310i device does have excellent loading though, so application startup times seem very small.

Just my experiences so far,

Steve

RE: Java performance on Nokia Phones

I wrote simple test suite for comparing perfomance on the J2ME-enabled devices. Test results and source code are available at the www.dogada.com/javame/.

Regards,
    Dmytro.