Discussion Board

Exclamation "Out of Memory" not "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

I am getting Out of Memory while running my application on series 40 phones (3200, for example). I presume that this error comes when I do an operation related to RMS but this is just an assumption. Mind you this is not java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. The text "Out of Memory" comes on the screen and then the application exits.
    Please help!

Re: "Out of Memory" not "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Hi,

"Mind you this is not java.lang.OutOfMemoryError"
    Just would like to say that if it is happening, it is almost sure that it is a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError error.

By checking the specs for Nokia 3200 you can see that its heap size is just 205KB, so it is not hard to have an OOMError on it, believe me.

And as I told you, as the runtime for that is the KVM afaik and its heap size is fixed and not dynamic (not self-expandable), when the memory is not enough Java always use the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError error.

What is strange for me is that you say "Nokia 3200 for example". Besides, your RMS code is not shown here, maybe you creating memory leaks, you know...

Hope this helps!
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

juarezjunior,

First of all thanks for the speedy reply and I really appreciate that.

Just to make the things clear I must state that I mentioned "Mind you this is not java.lang.OutOfMemoryError" because I get java.lang.OutOfMemoryError too but at a different location and I am able to handle that explicitly. The error I was talking about in my previous message doesn't show "java.lang...." and shows "Out of Memory".

I know that this is an out of memory at the KVM end but would like to know whether there is a way to handle or at least avoid this, as this is not something which we can catch at the code level for it not being java.lang.OutOfMemoryError error.

Hi,

I understand that you are catching it and trying to cope with the situation but java.lang.OutOfMemoryError is an error, not an exceptoin. In Java we have both and errors are critical failures by the JVM, while you can try to handle it, the JVM may be in a unreliable state. Please make sure you understand what an error means for the JVM, the best option is to adjust your code so that it will never happen.

Hope this helps
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil