Discussion Board

S60 3rd edition SDK Emulator query

Hi

I am new to Symbian development although not C++. I have just downloaded the SDK and carbide C++. I have created a Hello World (it feels weird coding that again) application and built it but I am unsure of how to run it on the emulator.

I have used the run command from the IDE which fires up the emulator but it just shows the phones environment. Do I have to run the program from inside this or should it automatically run Hello World.

I am sure I am missing something incredibly simple but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: S60 3rd edition SDK Emulator query

Hello Dan,

Welcome to the Forum Nokia. :)

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanDan View Post
    Hi

I am new to Symbian development although not C++. I have just downloaded the SDK and carbide C++. I have created a Hello World (it feels weird coding that again) application and built it but I am unsure of how to run it on the emulator.

I have used the run command from the IDE which fires up the emulator but it just shows the phones environment. Do I have to run the program from inside this or should it automatically run Hello World.

I am sure I am missing something incredibly simple but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
    On Emulator you would find "Installations" folder. You need to narrow down in that folder and then open your "Helloworld" application from within that folder.

Kiran.

Re: S60 3rd edition SDK Emulator query

Hi thanks for the welcome and thanks for the speedy reply.

I have looked under the installed folder, all i get is App. Mgr and Goto. Under app manager is download app and under goto is calander, inbox and notes.

Do I have to map the phones file system to my PC's file system?

Thanks

Dan

Nokia Developer Champion

I have looked under the installed folder, all i get is App. Mgr and Goto. Under app manager is download app and under goto is calander, inbox and notes.

Thanks

Dan
    No. You need not to do any special setting. Just be sure that you have successfully build your application for Emulator Build.
    If you are not getting any error then i hope it should show your "HelloWorld" application under "Installations" folder.

PS: I assume that you have selected "Helloworld GUI" project.

Kiran.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Thanks

Dan
    As mentioned by kiran make sure your build is for winscw udeb.
    Also make sure that the build completes without errors.

I'm having the same problem. Have you resolved it?

I've written a simple Hello World console applciation. I've done this following the isntructions in the Symbian press S60 tutorial book. It's the first example they work though.

Ive followed every step carefully, yet when I run it from the Carbide IDE,
    the emu starts up, but theres nothing other that App.Mgr and Go To in the isntalled directory.

I've never come across a system that makes it so difficult for someone to get a hello world app running...

Super Contributor

Hello,

basically consol applications doesn't have application icon. so you can't see it in installation folder.

try to run the hello world application from s60Ex folder in the sdk installation.

Regards,
    Peter

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by simonhogg View Post
    I'm having the same problem. Have you resolved it?

I've written a simple Hello World console applciation. I've done this following the isntructions in the Symbian press S60 tutorial book. It's the first example they work though.

Ive followed every step carefully, yet when I run it from the Carbide IDE,
    the emu starts up, but theres nothing other that App.Mgr and Go To in the isntalled directory.

I've never come across a system that makes it so difficult for someone to get a hello world app running...
    You would not find Console applications on Emulator visually.

However you can directly run it from:
    C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb

Kiran.

Question Cannot find my app in installation folder using emulator.

Hi,

I am also havin some probs in runnin a simple pgm which i got with "Symbian_OS_Basics_Lab_Exercises_v2_0_en".
    In tat i am tryin to run a pgm called s60resourcelab.I am able to compile without errors using carbide.I hav even created the s60resourcelab.exe in side the path "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb".

While launchin the emulator by double clickin on the .exe (or) by pressin the run button on carbide, It shoots up the emulator.I am able to navigate to the installation folder.Inside it there is only app mgr and go to icon.There is no icon to launch my s60resourcelab application.

Plz smeone help me in launchin this application. Every valuable suggestion is appreciable.
    Cheers,
    SAM

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Cannot find my app in installation folder using emulator.

If you double click on the .exe, it starts up the emulator, but after that your application might be in the background (check in the Task Manager - long press on the menu button).
    For having an icon check http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=96375 for example

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    You would not find Console applications on Emulator visually.

However you can directly run it from:
    C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb

Kiran.
    Thanks Kiran, this works well for me. I run it from the cmd directly, not double-click on the exe file. Also make sure there's no debugging running in Carbide ide. Yah it will startup the emulator automatically and show the console after that. Finally my "helloworld" console is working....

Zev