Discussion Board

LBS Application Testing with S60 Emulator

I am working on a mobile advertisement application based on location. The application is targeted for S60 3rd Edition phones that have an integrated GPS. The question I have is about the Emulator, which comes with the S60 3rd Ed FP1 SDK. I’d like to know if anyone has experience with the Route Simulation. To test the application, I need to have a simulated route to feed into the emulator. I’d like to know how to create a simulated route with the emulator. We know the emulator itself doesn’t have the map for route planning. What I have now is the map data of Paris downloaded from NAVTEQ (www.nn4d.com), which is built in with the application as data. My question is how to create a route with the emulator? Any help is very much appreciated. I plan to take part into the LBS Challenge contest with this application.

Super Contributor

Re: LBS Application Testing with S60 Emulator

The S60 SDK docs have some helpful documentation to generate the PSY files.
    Chk this out:
    Code:
    Tools and Utilities >> Location-Based Application Development
    And specifically:
    Code:
    Tools and Utilities >> Location-Based Application Development >> Simulation PSY User's Guide
    Simulation PSY Configurator also excepts data in NMEA format as well.So if you convert the map data into NMEA files and then feed it the configurator then it should work.
    --Mayur.

Regular Contributor

Could you tell me in which SDK documentation did you find that?

I am looking through the SDK reference for OS 9.2 and 9.3 provided in the symbian.com site and I cannot find this topic. I need to use a custom route for the emulated GPS in the symbian emulator.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

I apology if my previous question was stupid but I;ve found the documentation, is actually in the help menu of the emulator, not in the official Symbian documentation (at least I didn't find it there).

It is actually confusing as there are a lot of things about using the emulator in the SDK official documentation so you might believe that it should be there.