Discussion Board

Hybrid View

is it possible to access internet from near by pc using bluetooth in j2me

Hi All,

We are trying to connect internet from near by pc using bluetooth (JSR-82) Api.Is it possible to implement this one?If possible may i know is any docs or links available for this.

Thanks,
    Farook.

Regular Contributor

Re: is it possible to access internet from near by pc using bluetooth in j2me

what ur trying to do is hell of a task. i have been searching through internet about ur problems as i found the topic very interesting, as far as my understanding. u would need to define a protocol first between bluetooth devices of PC and phone. u would need to make an application on ur computer and mobile phone which will receive ur messages via bluetooth and then perform operations accordingly. u would also need to access the internet in ur PC and convert the responses according to protocol.its going to be tough, time consuming operation. ALso with such operations i have not not searched about phone limitations if there any which might raise new issues all together.
    Regards
    Nouman

Hi niceman,

Thank you for your quick response.please if you find any link send it to me.

Thanks,
    Farook.

Super Contributor

Search for "gnubox"; maybe it'll help (it presumably already does what you want to do, for some phones, at least).

Hi petrib,

"Gnubox" is the symbian c++ application.Let me know if you have any idea if the same functionality can be achieved through j2me(JSR-82) application.

Thanks,
    Farook.

Super Contributor

I very much doubt that the same functionality can be achived through J2ME (especially not, if you want it to be accessible to any other application running on the same device).

I have an interesting application somewhat like this request. (But it seems I come here late )
    @mmdfarook: you can have a look at my small application. My app is just a J2ME browser (with limited functionality) that enables mobile phone to surf the web (yes, just surfing the web, no email, no chat ) over a Bluetooth connection with a nearby PC.
    You can get it here:
    http://www.mobilelabs.com.vn/gamedetail.aspx?ID=150

Note:
    That website uses only Vietnamese (it is the official website of the Mobile Labs contest in Vietnam), so here are some steps for you to download my software:
    1. Open URL above
    2. Click on the Download link
    3. Enter your name and your email in the form
    4. Click on the button "Xac nhan"
    5. A link should be appeared for you to download.

Another note:
    My software currently uses Vietnamese language only . I'll try to add English localization soon. While waiting for the English version, here are some Vietnamese-English translations:
    #On the PC
    Khoi dong: Start
    Ngat ket noi: Disconnect
    Thong tin thiet bi: Device information
    Dung: Stop
    Ket noi: Connection
    Cau hinh: Configuration
    Thu nho: Minimize to system tray
    Tro giup: Help
    Gioi thieu: About
    Thoat: Exit
    Su dung Proxy: Uses Proxy
    Dia chi may chu Proxy: Proxy server address
    Cong: Port
    Lay tu IE: Get from IE
    Lay tu FireFox: Get from FireFox

#On the mobile
    Di den: Go to
    Luu bookmark: Bookmark this page
    Quan ly bookmark: Bookmark manager
    Tuy chon: Preferences
    Mo trang nay: Open bookmark
    Them: Add
    Sua: Edit
    Xoa: Delete

@nicenouman: it's really hell of a task Lots of work must be done to make it more useful. That's why I will make it open-source in the near future (hoping someone will contribute to my project).

Quote Originally Posted by Nolido View Post
    I have an interesting application somewhat like this request. (But it seems I come here late )
    @mmdfarook: you can have a look at my small application. My app is just a J2ME browser (with limited functionality) that enables mobile phone to surf the web (yes, just surfing the web, no email, no chat ) over a Bluetooth connection with a nearby PC.
    You can get it here:
    http://www.mobilelabs.com.vn/gamedetail.aspx?ID=150

Note:
    That website uses only Vietnamese (it is the official website of the Mobile Labs contest in Vietnam), so here are some steps for you to download my software:
    1. Open URL above
    2. Click on the Download link
    3. Enter your name and your email in the form
    4. Click on the button "Xac nhan"
    5. A link should be appeared for you to download.

Another note:
    My software currently uses Vietnamese language only . I'll try to add English localization soon. While waiting for the English version, here are some Vietnamese-English translations:
    #On the PC
    Khoi dong: Start
    Ngat ket noi: Disconnect
    Thong tin thiet bi: Device information
    Dung: Stop
    Ket noi: Connection
    Cau hinh: Configuration
    Thu nho: Minimize to system tray
    Tro giup: Help
    Gioi thieu: About
    Su dung Proxy: Uses Proxy
    Dia chi may chu Proxy: Proxy server address
    Cong: Port
    Lay tu IE: Get from IE
    Lay tu FireFox: Get from FireFox

#On the mobile
    Di den: Go to
    Luu bookmark: Bookmark this page
    Quan ly bookmark: Bookmark manager
    Tuy chon: Preferences
    Mo trang nay: Open bookmark
    Them: Add
    Sua: Edit
    Xoa: Delete

@nicenouman: it's really hell of a task Lots of work must be done to make it more useful. That's why I will make it open-source in the near future (hoping someone will contribute to my project).
    The application is not there anymore, Can You please Upload it again (Mediafire.com will be better)
    Might be English localization is also added, Please Upload that too...

Hi

I am looking for the same answer please?

cordially

The mentioned MIDlet was created by Phan Tuấn Dũng (Hanoi, Vietnam) and is called Blue Bond.

Please note, that solution is a small J2ME web browser and a Bluetooth-PAN gateway installed on your computer. As Nolido noticed, it would be a lot of effort to create a full-blown browser like Opera Mini or even the Nokia built-in ones. Therefore, please, consider to buy a Nokia with WLAN capabilities.