Discussion Board

keys for NDEF-Tags

I am writing a MIDlet that is autostarted via PushRegistry when touching a tag with a special NDEFRecord. So far everything works fine. I can touch the tag, read out it's data and do whatever I like with the data.

Now I would like to protect the data on my tag by setting its access keys (key A and key B). So....

1) How can I set key A for the PushRegistry so that the protected key can be read and the application is started?

2) Is it possible to set keys with the NDEFRecordListener? It seems like the keys were always set to d3f7d3f7d3f7 when calling NDEFTagConnection.writeNDEF. I only found one example with keys in the SDK 1.1 - and this example uses MFStandardConnection instead of NDEFRecords. And I need my protected tag to contain an NDEFRecord in order to read it out right after autostart...

3) As a conclusion of 1) and 2): Is it possible, to autostart an application with a key-protected tag and read out it's data without touching it twice?

Regular Contributor

Re: keys for NDEF-Tags

I haven't found any way to set the keys via NDEF, the MFStanard stuff should be able to change keys, however this doesn't work on the 3.12 firmware of the phone. It is possible to change the keys with APDU commands (I've never tried to send these directly from the phone).

If you do change the keys, its probable that the NDEF reader will fair as you can't tell it what key to use - changing the access control might be better.

When you use the push registry, the NDEFRecords are read from the card, check the methods needed from the implements interface.

HTH,
    -Jeff

So are these statements correct?

1) protected tags cannot be read with an NDEFRecordListener
    2) autostarting a MIDlet and reading out the tag's content with one single touch is only possible using an NDEFRecordListener
    3) Therefore, autostarting an application with a key-protected tag and reading out it's data without touching it twice is not possible

Regular Contributor

All sectors of all tags are protected with keys, the only thing that varies if if the midlet knows what keys to use. I haven't found (or looked) for any way to specify which keys to use unless using MFStandard.