Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How to get account to Symbian Signed - temporary solution

Account registration in Symbian Signed Web site has been temporary disabled. If you do not currently have an account and have a valid reason to have an account created, please send an email as follows to symbiansigned@symbian.com:

>>>>>>>>>
    Subject of email "Account creation request"

User name : request_account
    First Name Last Name : <your first name> <your last name>
    Application Name: <the name of your application>
    Application Version: <the version of your application>
    Company Name: <your company name>
    Company Address: <your company address>
    Company Web Site: <your company website address (matching your email domain name)>
    <<<<<<<<<<

Re: How to get account to Symbian Signed - temporary solution

Dear Satu (and all others who should happen to be interested in this issue),

the temporary solution you mention does not seem to work (at least not generally) - there seems to be a high probability that a requester won't receive an answer to his/her email to symbiansigned.

Some evidence (besides personal experience) can be obtained from off-topic remarks in http://developer.symbian.com/forum/t...art=0&tstart=0

This is a remarkable topic, by the way, titled: SYMBIAN SIGNED WEB SITE UPDATE - NEW ACCOUNT REGISTRATION (Thurs 9-Aug-07). There, Bruce Carney (of symbiansigned?) asks for opinions on crafting the future registration process (which might be of interest to Nokia Forum Developers too)

What I gather from the discussion is the following:

- Upon an "experimental" re-open of the registration, a significant number of registrations took place within a few hours. This raised questions: Is the registration process currently mis-used? How should a "good" registration process look like? (details see the first posting of Bruce Carney in the topic mentioned above) (also, performance issues arose)

- There are a lot of different interests reflected in the opinions, most (rightfully) mix practical registration and principal signing process issues. For example: dev certs for large scale beta testing, certs for closed-shop usage of applications (only some (hundred) users, requiring regular updates), dev certs/certs for freeware, etc. It seems to be difficult to balance all those interests.

- It seems to me as if a re-opening of online registration is not to be expected in the near future, because it seems as if some folks at symbiansigned would like to resolve the principal and pratical design issues first.

This is, obviously, desastrous for professional and non-professional developers who need dev certificates for testing/developing the application and are not yet registered.

A quick solution is needed - why? Because:
    * New companies and new developers developing for Symbian (3rd ed.)-based Nokia mobile phone are PREVENTED FROM DEVELOPING for the platform (because registration is impossible currently)
    * New users (of the new phones, for example) can not use well-known free apps (FEx...) or new apps (for example using the internal GPS device of N95/6220)) that require signing with dev certs.

Is there anything Nokia can/should/might-be-able do to re-enact a viable registration process within, let's say, days? Anything "we", as developers/users could/should do (sending email to symbiansigned is, I fear, of no use)?

All the best,
    Wolfram, FH GE

Explanation -- why am I personally interested in the issue:
    We, for example, are working in/for a new small company, developing some location-based thingy (based on the now officially signed Python implementation) around the internal GPS device of the 6110 Navigator (and the N95) - which, as some of you are probably aware of, requires a non-basic capability to be used (unlike using a GPS device over bluetooth...). The current alternative for us to fulfill customer needs is to offer our service for W..M...-based Smart Phones or PDAs with internal GPS (there are some) only. That's SAD!

Hi,

i'm waiting for a registration too.
    I've got no mail back from symbiansigned.com.

I bought a new 6110 two weeks ago and want to write a small script, sending my position to my webserver. The same i had done with my old 6680 phone, using a bluetooth gps.

I dont want to do professional development, but i want to use my own device as i want.

If they dont find a very good solution in near future or try to rule out non commercial user, e.g. by taking money for certs, this was my last symbian phone.

Joe

Regular Contributor

The registration by Email does not seem to work.
    Any news about it

Regular Contributor

Registration by email is now closed because there's a registration function at symbiansigned.com. At the moment there are some pretty tough restrictions.

-Paul

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Registrations for symbiansigned are still open but registration using most public domain ids are closed. Hence you could use your office email id, or you can create an account at http://www.coolhotmail.com using any non conventional domain available there. You can then use it.

Regards,
    Pavan
    Regards,
    Pavan M.V

Email: pavan.mysore@symbian.com /pavan.vishu@gmail.com