Discussion Board

Lightbulb Anti-thief car solution - GPS info over GSM

Hi i am dealing with making a system that you can put it inside your car and when you ask it for it's position, it'll reply to you with the location info. So if someone stoles your car, you will be able to go where it is your car with the police . Or you can put it in your wife's car and check if she tells the truth about where she is ! Or you can see where are your company's trucks, etc..

I think the easier and the cheapest way is to use an old 6600 or newer and a Bluetooth GPS module. The whole thing is to make a .sis program that when receiving a specific SMS message like "where r u?" it will reply (via SMS) the location info to that number.

Any other ideas about this system will be welcomed, also if someone can help about the program that takes the location info and sends it to another cell-phone, it will be very helpful!

Thanks,
    harontas

Super Contributor

Re: Anti-thief car solution - GPS info over GSM

Hi,

You will definitly get the lattitude and longitude from the gps receiver and you have to implement a sms observer to recognize the specific SMS message. When this happens you need to make an sms using the information you got from gps receiver and send it to the specified number. I think this is your idea.

From http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...-_NMEA_Parsing you can find details of parsing data from gps receiver.

Regards,
    Peter

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Anti-thief car solution - GPS info over GSM

Quote Originally Posted by harontas View Post
    Hi i am dealing with making a system that you can put it inside your car and when you ask it for it's position, it'll reply to you with the location info. So if someone stoles your car, you will be able to go where it is your car with the police . Or you can put it in your wife's car and check if she tells the truth about where she is ! Or you can see where are your company's trucks, etc..

I think the easier and the cheapest way is to use an old 6600 or newer and a Bluetooth GPS module. The whole thing is to make a .sis program that when receiving a specific SMS message like "where r u?" it will reply (via SMS) the location info to that number.

Any other ideas about this system will be welcomed, also if someone can help about the program that takes the location info and sends it to another cell-phone, it will be very helpful!

Thanks,
    harontas
    As Peter mentioned the Wiki Page where i implemented NMEA Sentence parsing to get Latitude, Longitude etc.... You can add implementation of other NMEA Sentence Codes as per your needs.

And as far as SMS is concerned, have a look into this Wiki Page : SMS Operations

Kiran.

Peter and Kiran thanks a lot for the instant reply, i will check those links out and i may ask you more!

Also if you have something simplier or easier in mind that makes the same job, please inform me.

Thanks

I am working on this and i find some difficulties on writing the code as it's my first time dealing with symbian programs, so if there is some code of a programm similar to that job, it will be very helpful!

Super Contributor

Hi,

Probably you will not get the entire code for your project. I think you got the example code for sms operations and also code for parsing NMEA sectences from previous replys. These are the basic parts of your project. Then you need to design your project(how to combine these two modules) and start coding accrding to your logic. I think first you need to understand the sms part and find the cituation of geting a specified message by using an obeserver for incoming sms. Then you can use the NMEA module to get the postion parameters and can send it via sms.

Hope you have got me.

Best Regards,
    Peter

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Anti-thief car solution - GPS info over GSM

Quote Originally Posted by harontas View Post
    as it's my first time dealing with symbian programs, so if there is some code of a programm similar to that job, it will be very helpful!
    If this is the case then i would suggest you to start with some "HelloWorld" application. Learn the flow of application and then proceed gradually.

All the best.
    Kiran.

I am writing a similar application using Java, except I have the application sent location information via GPRS to my website, for posting to a map. The goal of the app is to provide near-realtime AVL information to head office of where our resources are.

I suggest you look into Java, specifically the Location JSR which will simplify communications with bluetooth devices as well as give you access to other ways to extract location data from GPS antennas rather than parsing NMEA sentences yourself. Unfortunately I don't think the location API is available of the 6600 :-( only the later model Nokias.

Don't forget about supplying power as well as the postition of the GPS antenna...

Thank you guys!!
    @rjcauc81hi i will also check a solution using java.
    The cell phone is not a problem cos i can use a W800 or a N80 i have. Yes, I will give power to cellphone and BT module directly from the car's battery [with a regulator to 5V].