Discussion Board

Push Registry and Peer to Peer

Hi,

We would like to launch automatically a MIDlet on 2 phones using Push Registry when putting them in contact .

Apparently, phones are not seen as NDEF tags by other phones and therefore can't trigger Push Registry events.

Is it possible to use the phone's internal Secure Element to trigger an event that will launch a MIDlet using the following Secure Element Push Registry event mechanism :"secure-element:?aid=5152535455"?

Are there simpler ways to achieve that functionality?
    Suggestions are welcome!

Re: Push Registry and Peer to Peer

Hi,

Could someone from Nokia please respond to my query?
    Many thanks!

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

There seems to be no way to launch MIDlet on both phones when they are touched.

The suggestion that secure element push is used does not work because it launches MIDlet only after APDU messages has been transferred with defined AID. And when two phones are touched that does not happen.

Update: Check post #5
    Last edited by samuuh; 2007-08-23 at 11:04.

Thanks fir the answer although it is not quite the one we had hoped for...

In this thread Raluca wrote:

If you want to launch the MIDlet with a MiFare 1k tag, you have to change your filter like this:

String filter = "nfc:rf;type=mf1k;uid=*";

The simpletag type will only work with MiFare Ultralight tags.

Here is a list of all supported target types:
    <target type> ::= "felica" | "jewel" | "simpletag" | "mf1k" | "mf4k" | "iso4a" | "iso4b"
    Is it therefore not possible that one of the phones be seen by the other one as "mf4k"or "iso4a" target type?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

I did some research about Registering and found out that you can launch midlet in Nokia 6131 NFC by touching another one.
    If you use "nfc:undefined_format" as connection url parameter in Push Registry the phone starts Registered midlet when touched.

Example code:
    PushRegistry.registerConnection(
    "nfc:undefined_format",
    "P2PPushMidlet",
    "*");

Hope this helps.

Hi, I need auto-launch an application to receive data in p2p communication, but I don't know autostart the receive application (MIDlet) when the phone 1 (where the send application is running) touch with the phone 2.

I read anything about the connector url in NFCIPConnection and the push registry...

nfc:"undefined_format"¿?

An example, please?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Thumbs down Re: Push Registry and Peer to Peer

i also tried it out but wit push registry application won't work, so can somebody from NOKIA help in this matter, because each and every where i have seen that they are saying you can communicate by touching two NFC devices

Regular Contributor

Angry Re: Push Registry and Peer to Peer

i have more questions regarding this issue, assume that we have successfully configured push registry, so when 1 phone touches the other 1, which phone work as the initiator, how can 2 phones identify i should behave as the initiator or not.....

Nokia Developer Expert

There is no way for the phones to determine which one is initiator and which one is the target. The role assignation is effectively random. This is why the LLCP specification was developed by the NFC Forum, since it allows programs to ignore the NFCIP-1 initiator/target paradigm.

NFCIP-1 does not define a transport for NDEF, so therefore the phone cannot know that the data which is transferred on it is NDEF, and cannot e.g. check the push registry. However, of course you *can* make two NFCIP-1 devices communicate; you just need to have the relevant programs running on both devices.

On the 6212 classic, you can push an NDEF message to LLCPConnection channel 5, and it will be handled correctly on the phone end. This means that you can start another midlet, exchange NDEF, send whatever you like. However, this facility does not exist in the 6131nfc. You *might* be able to trick yourself around this by storing an NDEF message on the 6131nfc Mifare element, which would then start the app on the other end - and then you could start communicating with NFCIP-1, once the app is up and running.

However, if you don't have your app running on *either* device, you may be out of luck. You can still probably use the internal Mifare trick to start the app on one phone, but you don't know which one that is going to be.

Regular Contributor

Talking Re: Push Registry and Peer to Peer

hi jalkanen,

i totally agree wit you. there's noway that you can implement a peer to peer application on push registry. there's no way that one phone can act as a initiator.

are there anyone who has implement this application, if yes share your code with us???

i wonder what these NOKIA guys are doing?? seems to me though they said that this can be done they too haven't implement this application.

i hope some body from NOKIA will help us

regards,
    Randika

Nokia Developer Expert

As I said, this has been addressed in the LLCP specification from the NFC Forum. It essentially hides the initiator/target roles from the software, so you don't have to care anymore.

And yes, on the 6212 you *can* register to the Push Registry and have P2P working. But not on the 6131nfc, which does not implement LLCP.

So, in short, the guys at Nokia have obviously been implementing this functionality for 6212 ;-)

Registration is done in exactly the same way as for tags; and any LLCP message sent to channel 5 will be received as if it were read from a tag by the recipient phone. All you need to do is to wait for an LLCP connection, and then send your message, and the other device should wake up as if the NDEF were read from a tag.

However, you do need the app running on at least one of the devices; otherwise there's (obviously) nobody to send the message.

hello

I'm also looking for a way to launch an second midlet recognizing a P2P connection, no matter if NCPIP-1 or LLCP.
    Dealing with this topic I tried to register a Push Registry for a LLCP connection, as shown in the Nokia 6212 SDK documentation. Whenever registering the Push Registry a "unsupported platform" exception comes up. Has anybody else experience on that topic.

Is there any way at the moment to launch an application for a P2P communication?

Thanks for help
    Dominik
    Last edited by dominik_nexperts; 2009-06-23 at 08:59.

Unhappy Re: Push Registry and Peer to Peer

Somebody from Nokia! Help!

During registering the Push Registry LLCP connection (llcp-type1:?pid=10 llcp-type2:?pid=16) on my 6212 a "unsupported platform" exception comes up. Is there any way at the moment to launch an application for a P2P communication?

Thanks for help

Lightbulb Re: Push Registry and Peer to Peer

@petusos:
    As suggested on this page :
    Note that PID mentioned in the SDK javadocs is not valid, use SID instead
    So I'd suggest using "llcp-type1:?sid=10" instead of "llcp-type1:?pid=10". Worked for me.
    Hope that helps.