Discussion Board

E90 VoIP usage is disaster!

I have used several mobile devices for VoIP, even N800 which is great pease of work! In N800 greating SIP account is wery easy and it works, but in E90 it is nightmare. Does anyone ever made a VoIP call whit SIP?

I use Trixbox VoIP server ( Asterisk).

My settings:
    SIP account name example: 12345
    Public user name : sip:12345@ip_of_Trixbox
    Use the compression : No
    Use security : No

Proxy server:
    Proxy server address : sip:ip_of_Trixbox
    Domain : realm
    User name : 12345
    Password: *****
    Autorise Routing releases: Yes
    Transport type : UDP
    Port : 5060

Registrar server:
    Server address registrar : sip:ip_of_Trixbox
    Domain : Nothing
    User name : 12345
    Password : Nothing
    Transport type : UDP
    Port : 5060

Connection to trixbox whit any other SIP device or software client works, but E90 not. I must say that this so called bussiness version E90 sucks. There is so limited funktionality and this WLAN and SIP settings is bullshit. This is not ment to be tool for bussines this is tool of disaster and chaos. Please, add a UMTS module in N800 and it would be The one and Only real phone ever needed. This E90 is overprised shit. or is it Sympian which is from asshole ore what? N800 whit Linux is super and I wonder how in earth Nokia can publish this kind of phone to bussiness users?

Anyhow can anybody help us, because we ( three B.sc Tech and 2 M.Sc Tech can´t solve this)

Re: E90 VoIP usage is disaster!

Some politeness would be very welcomed.

Sorry about that! I just lost my nerves whit this issue. I'm validating if E90 could be one of our VoIP devices, but after two weeks of frustration and lack of support and accurate information I'm giving up... Trixpbox/Asterisk in one of the Open source leading SIP Proxys but this device (and other E-series) just wont work. N800 works like charm, but it has no UMTS/GSM in it.

This should be trivial task to ansver if it really works.

Hello,
    Could you provide ethereal logs as it might be just simple configuration problem.

See my comments for
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=110804

Go to Proxy server settings and
    try replacing the Domain setting (currently "realm") with value "asterisk".

Thanks, anklemet - it solved registration issue.

Now I have new problems. Now E90 can start calls to other extensions, but can't receive any calls. Somehow signalation is only "simplex". This is not an issue whit any other clients in same networks where E90 is used.

Second problem is that when call is made from E90, there is no sound and the call fails after some default time. This must be related to first problem where there is only "one way" signalation. Because there is no debug mode in E90 I can't say what kind of signalation it receives, but I can say fron Trixbox side that signalation leaves from Trixbox to E90. RTP audio stream should not be broblem if signalion issues will be solved.

Anyhow - this is one of the worst SIP- implemantations ever seen. I'm not sure but I think this E90 SIP -client can't have be done by standars of SIP. Documentation is where? Can't find any and this should be phone for business use? No way!. Too much "plug and play" to get simple SIP client to work. This is far from production ready phone. Too much mistakes, design fails and bad quality. Even the support is poor. Thanks to the community I got some help! Resellers of Nokia don´t have any idea what I´m talking about. It seem that not even Nokia has any idea what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by N800_E90 View Post
    Anyhow - this is one of the worst SIP- implemantations ever seen. I'm not sure but I think this E90 SIP -client can't have be done by standars of SIP. Documentation is where? Can't find any and this should be phone for business use? No way!. Too much "plug and play" to get simple SIP client to work. This is far from production ready phone. Too much mistakes, design fails and bad quality. Even the support is poor. Thanks to the community I got some help! Resellers of Nokia don´t have any idea what I´m talking about. It seem that not even Nokia has any idea what they are doing.
    IMO, Nokia SIP/VOIP-client is a beta product. Maybe someday it will evolve into a fully functional product, but for now it's just a immature piece of software. SIP signalling is quite complex and it's probably hard to implement in 100% standard way.

Client has major issues working with some SIP servers, eg. asterix. Client's shortcomings can be fully compensated by server. Asterix is quite complex configure even with "standard" SIP client.

Nokia has probably only little interest to develop SIP client. Operators/carriers are threatened by free voip calls and are disabling SIP clients in operator spesific firmwares. Nokia is quite depended on operators support, because most phones are sold through carriers. Über-good SIP client is bad for the business :-)

Hi N800_E90 and bltoha.

You are wondering whether Nokia's SIP implementation
    is following the SIP standards meaning the SIP related IETF RFCs like RFC 3261.
    In case you have a possiblity to take Ethereal captures from your network,
    you can see that Nokia / S60 SIP client is following the RFCs quite strictly.

Currently the problems raising the most discussion seem to be the following:

1) Fairly complex set of parameters in SIP settings.
    One example of these is the realm-parameter handling that was discussed here.

2) NATs (Network Address Translators) usually located in WLAN base stations.
    These devices often modify the SIP Contact-header of 200 OK responses
    for REGISTER requests and Request-URIs of inbound INVITE requests.
    SIP client in E90 is not very tolerant to these modifications.
    The SIP client is assuming that the Contact-header's URI in the 200 OK response
    for REGISTER matches to the one sent in REGISTER.
    It is also assuming that the Request-URI of INVITE matches
    to the URI sent in the Contact-header of REGISTER.

If the NAT in your WLAN base station has SIP ALG
    (Application Level Gateway) functionality, try to switch it off.
    SIP ALG is usually the one modifying the Contact-headers and Request-URIs.

These problems are also known by Nokia, as they are discussed in this forum,
    and I am quite sure there are plans to overcome them.
    Last edited by anklemet; 2007-08-22 at 11:49.

Thanks again anklement!

Anyhow I returned my E90 to the shop and looking for better phone for business use. This isn't phone for waas organications and small IT-departments. Too much "plug and play". SIP client was not only reason to dump this phone - there was too much other things which is not yet there where they should be in business level phones in this price catecory.

bltoha said "Asterix is quite complex configure even with "standard" SIP client."
    Thats not true. Asterisk is very trivial to conficure. Only SIP -devices wich has major problems to work wiht it is Symbian S60 series phones made by Nokia.

Nokia N800 Internet tablet works great! Is there any way to use Maemo ITOS2007 in E90? This seems to be problem whit os or too complex to code working aplications to Symbian. The issue allways seem to be Symbian and how limited it is.

"SIP signalling is quite complex" Not true, take a look H323 family protocoll - HUH. Thats comlex.

Anlement "NATs (Network Address Translators) usually located in WLAN base stations" Yes, thats true! How in earth Nokia could have been missed this fact when they made a WLAN based phone whit SIP client? This shows how badly this phone is designed if they missed this basic fact! Jesus...

Ok, this was my last post - E90 is history!