Discussion Board

Connection between Raccoon and mymobilesite.net

Hello,

Today I found a site called Mobile Web Server at www.mymobilesite.net.

I tried to install the server on my Nokia 6290, but was unsuccesful.

Anyway, my question is: what is the connection between Raccoon and the software distributed at mymobilesite.net?

Is (mymobilesite) Mobile Web Browser the actual product that Nokia is going to market? Is it so that it's based on Raccoon, but is preconfigured to run certain apps like a blog or an image gallery etc.?

-Kurt

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Connection between Raccoon and mymobilesite.net

Quote Originally Posted by kurtmartinsen View Post
    Today I found a site called Mobile Web Server at www.mymobilesite.net.

I tried to install the server on my Nokia 6290, but was unsuccesful.
    Due to a very unfortunate oversight, Raccoon and MWS cannot be installed at the same time. So, if you had Raccoon installed, please uninstall it before installing MWS.

Anyway, my question is: what is the connection between Raccoon and the software distributed at mymobilesite.net?

Is (mymobilesite) Mobile Web Browser the actual product that Nokia is going to market? Is it so that it's based on Raccoon, but is preconfigured to run certain apps like a blog or an image gallery etc.?
    In short, Raccoon begot MWS.

Raccoon started at Nokia Research Center as a research project whose aim was to demonstrate how capable modern smartphones really are and to explore what it actually means to host a website on a personal mobile device.

The basic result - the S60 port of the Apache webserver and a connectivity solution that provides a mobile phone with a domain name in the operator networks of today - was open sourced in the spring of 2006.

MWS is basically a more consumer-friendly productization of Raccoon with a more easily managed web-server, a default website and a scalable and secure connectivity solution.

For the developer Raccoon is more open as all source code is available - both phone and gateway software - and the SDK provides the means for creating native Apache modules, something the MWS SDK does not provide.

In the near future a version of Raccoon will be released that will happily co-exist with MWS on the same device.

Johan
    Last edited by jhnwkmn; 2007-08-20 at 17:52.

I have Nokia N-70 and I want to implement mobile Web Server on my phone.
    I found that either I should make my own gateway or use mymobilesite.net.
    But mymobilesite.net only supports Symbian s60v3
    and so not mine s60v2.
    So is there any way to connect to the mymobilesite.net account with raccoon installed on Nokia N-70 ?

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by b2_18 View Post
    So is there any way to connect to the mymobilesite.net account with raccoon installed on Nokia N-70 ?
    Unfortunately not.

Br,
    Johan

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jhnwkmn View Post
    In the near future a version of Raccoon will be released that will happily co-exist with MWS on the same device.

Johan
    Hello Johan (and MWS team), was this ever released? Because, as far as I can tell, the last versions of Raccoon that were released on SourceForge weren't able to be installed with the MWS.
    http://antoinerjwright.com - an MWS hosted site

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
    Hello Johan (and MWS team), was this ever released? Because, as far as I can tell, the last versions of Raccoon that were released on SourceForge weren't able to be installed with the MWS.
    Sort of, depending on your definition of sort of

If memory serves me, the last Raccoon had exactly the same Apache web-server as the one that was released with MWS. Thus, if you just installed the UI part of Raccoon, you could use that for managing the Apache delivered with MWS (unfortunately there's not a pre-built separate Raccoon UI sis).

However, is seems that the Raccoon installation file will replace the MWS delivered Apache with an identical one, but for the default location for the data directory. That is, if you install Raccoon, then it will not serve your MWS files, since they are located in /data/web server and not /data/apache. The simple UI of Apache allows you to define the location for the data directory, but that was never added to the Raccoon UI.

Furthermore, I do not recall whether Raccoon ever was signed with a Nokia certificate. If not, then you would have to manually uninstall the MWS installed Apache (httpd) before installing Raccoon, and in that case you would loose the functionality not available to self-signed binaries.

Pamp can definitely be installed on top of MWS and from its UI, you can also specify the location of Apache's data directory.

However, if you are looking for a Raccoon that out of the box would allow you to use the MWS delivered web-scripts and a Raccoon GW, then you are out of luck, unfortunately.

Br,
    Johan