Discussion Board

Adding existing source files to a Carbide project without copying them

How do I add an existing file to a carbide project without ending up with a duplicate file. I have a Symbian project in which I need to use a large section of shared code (The shared code mainly consists of utility classes that are shared across different projects on different Operating Systems)

If I import the files (using file->import) I end up with duplicate files (the importer copies the files which is wrong as I end up with multiple copies of the shared code files which defeats the whole point of code sharing)

If I create a link, the file appears in the project view but nowhere else (the mmp file is not told about it. And when I do tell the MMP file about it using carbide it gets the path completely wrong)

This should be very simple but I have spent three hours on this.

In visual Studio I would simply I would simply do "Add->Existing Item"

Super Contributor

Re: Adding existing source files to a Carbide project without copying them

Which version of Carbide are you using..?

In 1.2 you can use the USERINCLUDE for .h files and SOURCEINCLUDE for .cpp files which u want to link from outside your project..what i mean is for instance if u want to share some files from a particular directory/path without copying/duplicating them..u can just specify the path of that directory in your mmp file.

In 1.1 you can link files New->Other->General->File/Folder->Advanced(check the checkbox "link to file in file system") and then specify the filename..so the tool would create an external linkage to that file without copying it over to your project..

hope that helps..

cheers
    mayank

Mayank,

Thanks that works. I saw the SOURCEPATH and SOURCE statements in the MMP file but I didn't realize that I was meant to edit it manually (especially since Carbide is making changes to it too. Carbide and me having responsibility for the same file makes me very nervous...)

The remaining annoyance is that using SOURCEPATH does not make the files visible in the IDE (for that I still have to create the external linkage using Carbide 1.1 method but NOT allowing Carbide to add it to the MMP file because is gets the path wrong)

Jani

Super Contributor

Well...u should import using bld.inf file after updating the mmp file..and when the ide asks u for the root directory..instead of going up to the group folder where your bld.inf file resides..give the root path..for instance c:\yourapp\somelib instead of c:\yourapp\somelib\symbian\group.

Hope that helps..

cheers
    mayank