Discussion Board

Multiple STATIC LIBRARIES ERROR

I am tryingt o include a new static library (I already have several, around 15) and I get a compilation error.

\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\UDEB\EEXE.LIB(uc_exe_.o): In function `$b':
    \EPOC32\BUILD\src\cedar\generic\BASE\E32\EEXE\ARMV5\UDEB\uc_exe_.cpp:(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL against symbol `_ZN4User9InvariantEv@@euser{000a0000}[100039e5].dll' defined in ER_RO section in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\euser.dso
    \EPOC32\BUILD\src\cedar\generic\BASE\E32\EEXE\ARMV5\UDEB\uc_exe_.cpp:(.text+0xe): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL against symbol `_ZN4User15HandleExceptionEPv@@euser{000a0000}[100039e5].dll' defined in ER_RO section in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\euser.dso
    \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\UDEB\EEXE.LIB(uc_exe.o): In function `$b':
    \src\cedar\generic\BASE\E32\EUSER\epoc\arm\uc_exe.cpp:(.text+0xc): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL against symbol `_ZN8UserHeap15SetupThreadHeapEiR24SStdEpocThreadCreateInfo@@euser{000a0000}[100039e5].dll' defined in ER_RO section in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\euser.dso
    \src\cedar\generic\BASE\E32\EUSER\epoc\arm\uc_exe.cpp:(.text+0x24): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL against symbol `_ZN4User4ExitEi@@euser{000a0000}[100039e5].dll' defined in ER_RO section in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\euser.dso

It seems that there is a limit to how many static libraries (in terms of memory) can be defined in the .mmp file.

The obvious solution is to use .dlls.
    The problem gets fixed with the new .lib if I change a different .lib for .dll. Howver, I still want to use .lib.

How could I increase the value to support more static libraries?

Thanks,

Rafa

Super Contributor

Re: Multiple STATIC LIBRARIES ERROR

There no limitation to How many Static Libs you can add to a Project..

Super Contributor

Refer this thread in which I have added a useful link:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=85780
    --Mayur.

I already tried using:
    http://developer.symbian.com/forum/t...threadID=19668

The problem doesn't seem to be related because I do not have overlapping data. Furthermore, a long time ago I increased the data to A00000, and fix the overlapping.
    Now is different.

How can you explain that if I take out some of the static libraries, the new .lib that I am adding does not create compilation errors enymore. I have tried in two different computers and have the same error, but only when there are too many static libraries.
    I am not saying that there is a limit to how many, but a limit to how much memory they are requiring. If there is a limit, how is it possible to increase it?

Thanks,

Rafa

Super Contributor

Hi,

if u closely observe the bolded text of ur error.
    it says the export function _ZN4User9InvariantEv at some address of the dll is not properly linked to euser for the armv5..
    Quote Originally Posted by rafamaya View Post
    \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\UDEB\EEXE.LIB(uc_exe_.o): In function `$b':
    \EPOC32\BUILD\src\cedar\generic\BASE\E32\EEXE\ARMV5\UDEB\uc_exe_.cpp:(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL against symbol `_ZN4User9InvariantEv@@euser{000a0000}[100039e5].dll' defined in ER_RO section in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\euser.dso
    \EPOC32\BUILD\src\cedar\generic\BASE\E32\EEXE\ARMV5\UDEB\uc_exe_.cpp:(.text+0xe): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL against symbol `_ZN4User15HandleExceptionEPv@@euser{000a0000}[100039e5].dll' defined in ER_RO section in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\euser.dso
    \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\UDEB\EEXE.LIB(uc_exe.o): In function `$b':
    \src\cedar\generic\BASE\E32\EUSER\epoc\arm\uc_exe.cpp:(.text+0xc): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL against symbol `_ZN8UserHeap15SetupThreadHeapEiR24SStdEpocThreadCreateInfo@@euser{000a0000}[100039e5].dll' defined in ER_RO section in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\euser.dso
    \src\cedar\generic\BASE\E32\EUSER\epoc\arm\uc_exe.cpp:(.text+0x24): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL against symbol `_ZN4User4ExitEi@@euser{000a0000}[100039e5].dll' defined in ER_RO section in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\euser.dso

Rafa
    There is no limit of the functions that u can have in the static dll. Expect that static dll brings along with it irrerelavent data long with the function u require.
    Please check properly whether ur freezing all the export functions in the dll ..

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    Last edited by mateen_maldar; 2007-08-22 at 23:33. Reason: typos
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

The dll is a Symbian SDK dll (euser.dso). That is the error it produced. However, it doesn not mean that I am receiving an error due to a dll that I am trying to include. That error always appears if there are errors with the libs. I am tryingto include a STATIC library .lib (not dll). Therefore, I think I would not not need to freeze. I am just trying to include a 3rd party .lib that works perfectly fine if I use it in a stand alone testing application. It doesn't work (compilation error) if I use it in my big app -which has many other static libs.
    I receive the same error, if I try to include other independent lib that is also very big.

Thanks,

Rafa

Super Contributor

hi,

sorry i don;t have a armv5 compiler with me so i cannot help much on this.. wht the best i can do is

anyone who is visiting this post plz check this kind of error exists in armv5 compilation..
    do reply or i request any nokia member will reply to this post..

as i'm not working on armv5 complier often use gcce for developement..

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar

I am also using GCCE. ARMV5 is only the folder -by default- where it reads the libs from. Therefore, it is completely independent of ARMV5 compiler.

Thanks anyway,

Rafa

Super Contributor

hi,

i got something ..

well i problem is that ur using more amount of memory for ur applicaation..increase the stack size in mmp and check it again..

Basically you can try experimenting with a
    EPOCDATALINKADDRESS 0x005f0000

statement in your MMP file, the value is just an example, you can try moving the
    data section around.

the root cause is the error generated form elf32-arm1.c where it checks

its better u have a look at this link

it has the error description and useful information u need to resolve it..

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mateen_maldar View Post
    hi,
    the root cause is the error generated form elf32-arm1.c where it checks

its better u have a look at this link

it has the error description and useful information u need to resolve it..
    He already has tried the link you have mentioned.
    --Mayur.

Hi,

Finally I was able to solve the problem by using the EEXE.lib compiled for ARM. I cannot post attachments on this forum.

Rafa

Quote Originally Posted by rafamaya View Post
    Finally I was able to solve the problem by using the EEXE.lib compiled for ARM. I cannot post attachments on this forum.
    More details on the solution (and the EEXE.lib update) can be found here:

http://live.sdnhost.com/forum/thread...rt=0&tstart=90
    Last edited by mgroeber9110; 2010-03-04 at 09:35. Reason: Updated broken link to developer.symbian.com