I need to read data from GPS receiver.
1) GPS receiver writes data every second. But i don't need such frequent updates. So if I will read it every second, it will shorten battery-life.
2) I want to choose between two possible ways of reading data in background.
a) CPeriodic object reads data from GPS receiver every second, and if data string is a complete structure (symbols $ [something] \r\n is there) - parse it and put it into proper class which needs gps location.
b) CActive (but I am not sure, is it just simple thread?) - run reading process in background, and I should be able to terminate it even if it is waiting data from receiver (if receiver suddenly was turned off).
3) I can also imagine my application connecting, reading and disconnecting from receiver every time i need data, but such implementation scares me
Could anyone help me to
1) choose the way of reading data
2) to understand how CActive works (tiny example will be great!)
Symbian 6.1 & 8.0a