×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: RTP benefits

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    31

    Wink RTP benefits

    Hello there

    Does anybody know why we should use RTP protocol for streaming?
    What benefits this protocol gives in comparison to simple use of UDP or TCP?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    31

    Re: RTP benefits

    I mean how these benefits are / can be utilized in Symbian.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    1,678

    Re: RTP benefits

    Loss detection, reception quality info, error concealment, synchronization, congestion control.. just to name a few..

    You might want to read some book/rfc on this

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    31

    Re: RTP benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by PushL View Post
    Loss detection, reception quality info, error concealment, synchronization, congestion control.. just to name a few..

    You might want to read some book/rfc on this
    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.
    Can I ask one more question?
    Is it possible to send G.711 payload over UDP without encapsulating into RTP packets or RTP is a vital part for data like this and this protocol must be utilized?
    Don't be angry with my questions. I'm just studying yet

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    35

    Re: RTP benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by luigio18 View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.
    Can I ask one more question?
    Is it possible to send G.711 payload over UDP without encapsulating into RTP packets or RTP is a vital part for data like this and this protocol must be utilized?
    Don't be angry with my questions. I'm just studying yet

    Thanks

    How are you going to know packet loss and sequence of audio payloads without structure of RTP?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    31

    Re: RTP benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by hliukkon View Post
    How are you going to know packet loss and sequence of audio payloads without structure of RTP?
    Actually I thought that for a streaming data it's not so important to loose a couple of packets. Am I wrong? I also thought that it's possible to play incoming stream without changing the order of packets If the order of packets is not the same as it was while sending do I have to sort these packets back by myself or this part is somehow managed by RTP framework?

    Thanks
    Last edited by luigio18; 2007-08-31 at 14:56.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    35

    Re: RTP benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by luigio18 View Post
    Actually I thought that for a streaming data it's not so important to loose a couple of packets. Am I wrong? I also thought that it's possible to play incoming stream without changing the order of packets If the order of packets is not the same as it was while sending do I have to sort these packets back by myself or this part is somehow managed by RTP framework?

    Thanks
    from http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=113432'

    Here i'm registering observer to receive RTP packet

    TInt err = iRtpAPI->RegisterRtpObserver( iSessionId,
    *this );

    void RtpPacketReceived( TRtpId aStreamId,
    const TRtpRecvHeader &aHeaderInfo,
    const TDesC8 &aPayloadData );


    Your observer class is implemented this method. You will get payload data with RTP packets header info.( sequence number, time stamp....)
    RTP didn't keep packet in order. You have to do that.

    "Actually I thought that for a streaming data it's not so important to loose a couple of packets. Am I wrong? I also thought that it's possible to play incoming stream without changing the order of packets"

    Ofcourse you can play packets in that order which they come in but packets can be received out of order. You have to think how you handle those packets. Audio quality is not so good if you just play packet in receiving order.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    1,678

    Re: RTP benefits

    And besides, there some other issues, such as jittering, to put an example.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    31

    Re: RTP benefits

    Hello Hliukkon,

    Thank you for the reply. Now the things have come clear
    Can I ask one more question? What would you recommend to use RTP: 1) API which is described in SDK(rtp.h) or API from the Nokia's extension(rtpapi.h).
    People in different threads describe use of different APIs. So I'm a bit messed
    I would really appreciate you to show the direction (I'm a complete newbie here)

    Thanks in advance

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    31

    Re: RTP benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by PushL View Post
    And besides, there some other issues, such as jittering, to put an example.
    thanks

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    31

    Re: RTP benefits

    Could anybody answer the question: What would you recommend to use RTP: 1) API which is described in SDK(rtp.h) or API from the Nokia's extension(rtpapi.h)?

    thnx

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    1,678

    Re: RTP benefits

    I would say "api which is available to you". Start by checking the plugin extension package (see in FN homepage)

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    31

    Re: RTP benefits

    Hi,

    Can I test my application with an emulator if I need to use rtpapi.h or it's possible only with a device?

    Thnx

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    1,678

    Re: RTP benefits

    The plugin supplies only native binaries, so you can only use it on device. You could do debugging on target though, but if you want to use the emulator then your choice is either porting an existing rtp stack, or writing your own.

Similar Threads

  1. Sending RTP
    By ecio83 in forum Symbian Media (Closed)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2007-10-11, 15:29
  2. suckho, i have encontered the same problems. Could you tell me how you resolved it?
    By dicson_hu in forum Symbian Networking & Messaging (Closed)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2005-12-09, 10:56
  3. GPRS connection problems on 6600..
    By suckho in forum Symbian Networking & Messaging (Closed)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2005-12-02, 14:00
  4. Nokia 6600 Socket Server send delay Problem
    By dicson_hu in forum Mobile Java Networking & Messaging & Security
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2005-10-31, 07:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×