Discussion Board

Open C and cleanup safety?

Hello,

I'm intermixing Symbian C++ and Open C code and have some concerns regarding using cleanup stack with Open C types. What is the official statement on using Open C types and cleanup stack? Is it allowed to put Open C types to the cleanup stack (using TCleanupItem)? Or does Open C has some sort of built-in way to prevent memory leaks with its built-in types? It's noted in the SDK that "Open C APIs assume that a cleanup stack is created and there is a top-level TRAP for the current thread".

For instance, lets see this code example which uses both Open C and Symbian C++ calls:

Code:
    GString* string = g_string_new("something");
    DoSomeThingThatCanLeaveL(); // Symbian C++ method call, can leave
    g_string_free(string, TRUE);
    What happens if the called Symbian method leaves? We created a GString on the heap and didn't push it onto the cleanup stack. Do we get a memory leak or Open C did something in the background which ensured that it cannot happen?

Can I put the GString to the cleanup stack (by means of a TCleanupItem)?
    Imre Kelényi

Regular Contributor

Re: Open C and cleanup safety?

Yes, you get a memory leak.

C, of course, has no such concept as exceptions. The nearest thing, non-local gotos, are highly discouraged. This means C libraries have no cleanup mechanism that applies to exceptions.

Really, you shouldn't write code that could possibly generate exceptions in the middle of Open C code.

You could, however, easily write cleanup items for the g_free family of operations if you really wanted to.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Nokia Developer Moderator

Imre I do not really understand what are you expecting from this thread. You, CDavies, and me are all here in Aalborg, so does Mr. Penttinen. If there was a really nice "official" answer, he would have told it to you on your question.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Imre I do not really understand what are you expecting from this thread. You, CDavies, and me are all here in Aalborg, so does Mr. Penttinen. If there was a really nice "official" answer, he would have told it to you on your question.
    Do you think that we should start using this forum as a channel for exchanging our personal messages? (good luck on acquiring the poster of the month title ) Anyway, I just wonder why these things are not covered in the SDK documentation since they don't seem as trivial. Thanks for the answer Cdavies.
    Imre Kelényi

Quote Originally Posted by kenley View Post
    Can I put the GString to the cleanup stack (by means of a TCleanupItem)?
    Yes, you can put practically any items on the cleanup stack. Example:
    Code:
    GString* string = g_string_new("something");
    CleanupStack::PushL(TCleanupItem(g_string_free, string));
    // ... some L calls
    CleanupStack::PopAndDestroy(string);
    Note that the "free" operation needs to be a TCleanupOperation, i.e. taking a single void* parameter and returning nothing.

Lauri

Nokia Developer Moderator

Laa-laa: it is not that easy
    Quote Originally Posted by gstring.h
    IMPORT_C gchar* g_string_free (GString *string, gboolean free_segment);
    Code:
    void g_s_f(void *s)
    {
        g_string_free((GString*)s,TRUE);
    }

CleanupStack::PushL(TCleanupItem(g_s_f,somegstring));
    is better. But it is hard to call this solution nice actually.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2007-09-02 at 18:08. Reason: Completely rewritten

wizard_hu: Yes, it's not always straightforward.

A solution like that soon starts to look like wrapping items to be cleaned up in CBase-derived objects and freeing the resources in the destructor.

If you know what you're doing and what the compiler is doing, you can cast the "free" function to a TCleanupOperation and deliberately remove some type safety. This assumes the "free" function takes in a pointer to whatever. It is a relatively safe assumption since almost all "destructors" in C take in just the pointer to the memory block/struct/whatever.

To make things a little simpler, it could be wrapped in a preprocessor macro:
    Code:
    #define CleanupOpPushL(op,ptr) \
      CleanupStack::PushL(TCleanupItem(reinterpret_cast<TCleanupOperation>(op), ptr))
    Lauri

Quote Originally Posted by laa-laa View Post
    If you know what you're doing and what the compiler is doing, you can cast the "free" function to a TCleanupOperation and deliberately remove some type safety. This assumes the "free" function takes in a pointer to whatever. It is a relatively safe assumption since almost all "destructors" in C take in just the pointer to the memory block/struct/whatever.
    Lauri
    Although this approach will definitely not work with glib for almost all of its deallocation functions take two parameters...

Code:
    guint8* g_byte_array_free (GByteArray *array, gboolean free_segment);
    gchar* g_string_free (GString *string, gboolean free_segment);
    etc.
    Imre Kelényi

Regular Contributor

If you want to do this, generally you'll write helper functions like the built in CleanupClosePushL/CleanupResetPushL that push the pointer to the object and the cleanup method on to the stack for you.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Hi, i have same trouble about memory leak when use open C/C++ when code Symbian app. Are there any mechanism to manage allocation fail when use open C/C++ when make Symbian application.
    thks for advice