Discussion Board

6131 NFC as a means to emulate ISO14443 cards in software

The application I am developing needs to emulate cards that exchange information with an external reader through ISO 14443.

I was hoping that a MIDlet could use one of the Connection objects made available by the JSR-257 API or extensions to be able to listen for incoming ISO 14443 APDUs and reply accordingly, thus emulating what a real card would do. However, it seems to me that ISO14443Connection will not work that way, as it doesn't have the means to first receive an APDU then send a reply. All it provides is a method with which the MIDlet will first send an APDU and then receive the reply, thus playing the reader's side.

I have also found about the peer to peer extensions, which have separate methods for sending and receiving data, which allow the phone to play both an initiator (reader) role as a target (card) role. Is this API suited for exchanging data over ISO 14443 with a reader so that the reader thinks it is talking to an ISO 14443 contactless card?

One other alternative I have been thinking -- in case the above doesn't work -- is to write a cardlet that will reside in the internal Secure Element and do the emulation for me. In that case, I would need to download some data to the cardlet to tell it what to do, and then it would emulate the card for me. Now would that be possible?

I have already found the following threads which are related to my problem, but they don't explicitly tell me what I need to know:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo.../t-106601.html
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=104683

Any help welcome.

Regards,
    Douglas

Re: 6131 NFC as a means to emulate ISO14443 cards in software

the best way is to use the secure element and write a java card.

The nfc hardware is probably capable of the other methods you suggest, but I haven't yet seen a way in the API's to use the NFC hardware at this lower level.

Tim

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: 6131 NFC as a means to emulate ISO14443 cards in software

Quote Originally Posted by datique View Post
    One other alternative I have been thinking -- in case the above doesn't work -- is to write a cardlet that will reside in the internal Secure Element and do the emulation for me. In that case, I would need to download some data to the cardlet to tell it what to do, and then it would emulate the card for me. Now would that be possible?
    Hi Douglas,

From what I understand, this is the right way to do. Secure Element of NOKIA 6131 is a SmartCard / JavaCard and you can upload your Applet (thanks to JCOP / Pegoda Reader) on unlocked SE (using known R&D keyset, see WIKI).
    All your business logic is securely stored in the Applet. Never trust a MIDlet (even obfuscated) and P2P exchange is not made for NFC, even if you can do it with NFCIPConnection. NFC is a way to identify (based on RFID). Never forget this
    Once you have your applet on the phone SE, it acts like a ISO14443 card and you can remotely send APDU command to it using reader such as Pegoda or PC/SC reader, or even another 6131 with ISO14443Connection.
    Finalist, First European NFC Competition 2007
    2nd Prize Research Track, NFC Forum Global Competition 2008
    NFC Project Manager at the University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France
    http://tdelazzari.blogspot.com

Re: 6131 NFC as a means to emulate ISO14443 cards in software

Quote Originally Posted by tdelazzari View Post

From what I understand, this is the right way to do.
    Hi Thomas,
    it is definitevely clear that this is the right way, and that security matters, but does this means there is no way for a midlet to connect and exchange data (P2P ?) with an external ISO14443 reader ?

Thanks,
    Enzo

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: 6131 NFC as a means to emulate ISO14443 cards in software

Some readers support P2P as a top level protocol over NFC. I know PN531 does it but never tested it with Nokia 6131. Search for NFCIP-1 readers and maybe you will be able to connect your Midlet to a reader through NFCIPConnection.

If you want to exchange data to a reader, my trick is to write a Midlet which sends APDU commands to your Applet on internal SE and then your external reader will be able to retrieve data sending APDU commands to your Applet. Be careful, one connection at a time! For backward compatibility, you can store those data into MIFARE internal container. Of course this is not a SYNC exchange protocol like FTP. It is much more like RPC.

My advice is to use Bluetooth if you want a real exchange protocol (application layer). NFC can pair your devices.

See also:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=84116
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=104683
    Last edited by tdelazzari; 2007-09-05 at 16:47.
    Finalist, First European NFC Competition 2007
    2nd Prize Research Track, NFC Forum Global Competition 2008
    NFC Project Manager at the University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France
    http://tdelazzari.blogspot.com