Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to create chat server and chat client using J2ME....

Hello everyone i am newbie to this forum. Guys i really need your help regarding my final year project. Well my project is all about developing chat server accessible from internet using J2ME and aslo chat client using J2ME on mobile device. The connection to the server from the mobile device is established through GPRS. I have knowledge in J2SE.I need ideas,source code,examples,tutorials and guidance. I came across thread posted by Sachin Warang. My project is similiar to his development. Please post whatever that can help me to deal with my project. Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: How to create chat server and chat client using J2ME....

Well buddy first thing is your server will be of j2se, and then your client in j2me can connect to it. And as u have knowledge of j2se i believe u have made client server app in it. so the call and connection protocol are similar just u have to look into the api of j2me. and i would segguest search on net u can easily find some app for it...

hi,

You can develop server in J2EE. You can follow the Wireless Village Specs(Instant Messaging and Presence Service - IMPS) oma Specs For both server and client specs.

All the best.

Regards,
    Sudhakar
    Regards,
    Sudhakar

Well thank you for both prakash raman and s.s.sudhakar. Now i really got the idea how to make the server and client using the right platform. Well i never start yet my project because still learning J2ME and doing research as well. The server that i am developing is only for my university students. So is it possible for the server only to accept students with my university ID only? How to do and what and which database i should connect to? Please reply because i really need help from you guys out there.

Super Contributor

Well buddy as ur using GPRS ur server is on some ip which is public, second thing for giving access to ur friends only u have to use simple user id and password thing. u can use any data base to mantain that, and best will if u r using gprs to allow download of that application, then make a jsp on the server side which allow the user to download the jad and jar, and before any one can download the stuffs just check his/her student id or university enrollemnt number, so only the university student can download the app.

Thanks prakash...buddy i am now clear with your explaination. Well please correct me if i say that i can use DBMS such as Sql,oracle and etc for the server and for the client side i can use JDBC...am i rite? Please reply because you are helping me alot buddy!!!!

You will not be able to use jdbc on the client side because j2me do not support jdbc. You can use the RMS classes for persistent storage in j2me. However you will need to implement the complete serialization code for RMS.

Super Contributor

Well dear u cant use jdbc into j2me, but j2me gives u record managment system to stor and retrive data, and on server side u can use any data base system u like. one more thing look into j2me polish its an open source project and give u both easy storage and retrival system, better apis for ui design and it also implement RMI on J2ME, that means u can communicate with objects. but if ur using RMI ur server can only be in java else it could be in any language

Thanks again to prakash raman and nimish jain....From the reply i guess i only need to implement database on the server side and not in client side.. Hmmm i lil bit unclear about how to open connection between the chat application on client side and DBMS of the server side...I read the book 'The Complete Reference J2ME' by James Keogh...so i came across J2BC drivers..it is stated that the j2bc drivers actually open connection between j2me application and DBMS..i really dont have ideas about j2bc drivers... i really need explaination about this....thanks in advance.

Well there is one more thing i would like to ask....how if i set up the server on my pc and not on other public IP....so is it possible and do i need to set up the GPRS in my pc? Thanks in advance

Hi,

I don't think it is possible without putting server on Public IP as Connecting to external world is with Public IP.

Regards,
    Sudhakar
    Regards,
    Sudhakar

Super Contributor

Well in case u want server on ur pc the only way to access is via WLAN or other is some server listning on some public ip which redirects the chat app request to ur pc.

Thanks again to prakash raman and S.S.Sudhakar...I am now doing literature review on my project.Thanks for your guidance and ideas. So if i encounter any problem in developing my project i will refer to you guys. thanks

Hello prakash raman sir...there is doubt that i will like to ask about my project...u mentioned that i can make jsp on the server side which allow the user to download the jad and jar file..jz wana ask u is that the whole content of the jsp will be downloaded by the midlet programmin or u need to rebuild again the interface on your phone..Please reply sir..

Super Contributor

Hi Mapetos,

No the the content of jsp wont be downloaded. see when user hits ur jsp from browser u can show him the login page and check the identity, after that u show him list of devices which u support, and this name will be like hyper link and when user click on it ur jsp will give it a path to ur jad so users phone installer will get initalized and it will install ur jar from the path provided in jad. See i my self dont work on server side so i dont know much about jsp writing but am attaching one jsp code example of one jsp that we r using it pickes a .xls file from its resource, in that xls the supported device name is given, with respective jad path, so first this jsp picks the device name list and display that and when user press on the device name, it send user to respective jad path. Well but in this code there is nothing like login, that u have to add ur self.

<%@ page import="java.lang.*,java.io.*,jxl.*,java.util.*" %>
    <html>
    <head>
    <br><font size="3"><b>Mobile Investor</b></font><br>
    </head>
    <body>

<%
    String lang = null;
    Workbook workbook = null;
    Sheet sheet1 = null;
    HashMap langHm = null;
    int rows = 0;
    int columns = 0;

String filename=getServletContext().getInitParameter("filename");
    String respath = "/mi/res/";

try {
    File file = new File(filename);

workbook = Workbook.getWorkbook(file);
    sheet1 = workbook.getSheet(0);
    rows = sheet1.getRows();
    columns = sheet1.getColumns();

// System.err.println("rows="+rows+" columns="+columns);

HashMap hm = new HashMap();
    for (int x = 1; x < rows; x++) {
    hm.put(sheet1.getCell(0, x).getContents().trim().toUpperCase(),
    sheet1.getCell(1, x).getContents().trim());
    %>
    <a href="<%=respath+sheet1.getCell(1, x).getContents().trim()%>">
    <font size="1"><%=sheet1.getCell(0, x).getContents().trim().toUpperCase()%>
    </font></a><br>

<%
    }
    hm = null;

} catch (Exception e) {
    e.printStackTrace();
    //workbook.close();
    return;
    }
    %>
    </body>
    </html>
    any way great to hear from u after long time...

take care
    prakash