Discussion Board

Question Portrait/Landscape N95

Hi, I'm starting to write an application that will reproduce video that is being streamed through a 3G connection.
    I intend to develop it for a N95, but I don't have one yet. I'd like to know a few things before buying it:
    - Does it support landscape and portrait mode for a Midlet?
    - If so, how can I detect it?
    - What will trigger the change (user moving the phone, application command)?
    - Is there any document that gives guidelines on how to develop app switching between different screen resolutions at runtime?
    - Do I have to rotate the video? is that done automagically when the screen changes mode?

Thanks!
    Iker.

Re: Portrait/Landscape N95

hi

As of now there is no way to set the landscape mode of the video that is to be displayed. Setting to full screen mode is dependent on the phone implementation.

regards
    nimish

Well, I've played with a N92 and a N70 and both support fullscreen mode, I'm almost sure that N95 supports it as well. What I wanted to ask was if the phone would display a MIDlet correctly when working in landscape mode (which I'm not sure it does yet) and while in that mode I can expect that the video would be correctly displayed, not rotated 90 degrees.

Unhappy Re: Portrait/Landscape N95

Nobody has programmed for the N95 yet and can give me some hints?

Super Contributor

Well buddy N95 do support both landscape and portrait mode. and u can get event for this by protected void javax.microedition.lcdui.DisplayablesizeChanged(int w, int h) .

Smile Re: Portrait/Landscape N95

Quote Originally Posted by prakash.raman View Post
    Well buddy N95 do support both landscape and portrait mode. and u can get event for this by protected void javax.microedition.lcdui.DisplayablesizeChanged(int w, int h) .
    And how does the phone change from portrait to landscape? just moving it? does the phone detect how it is hold? or is there a button to switch modes?

Nokia Developer Champion

A Symbian native app can change the screen orientation with Orientation Mode API. A MIDlet cannot do that.
    How to see that on real device? For example slide the media keys out and see how the screen orientation changes. If you now change some other application to the foreground, the landscape orientation is maintained.

There are no sensors to detect how the phone is held.

Hartti

Smile Re: Portrait/Landscape N95

Thanks very much for all the answers, I have a much clearer idea of how this works now.

I just did an application like this on a N95.

As said, you can't set the screen orientation in J2ME (hey nokia, feature request! ;-) ).

But the phone automatically changes the orientation when you slide out the media keys. It also triggers the sizeChanged method in J2ME where you can load new background images or whatever.

In this case the Canvas.LEFT/RIGHT etc. are also changed to landscape orientation.

So if you develop an application, that's very dynamic in the way it handles the screen and keys, it will run just fine in both modes (i testet that with an older application of mine)

But if you want to build a videoplayer that runs on many devices in portrait and landscape mode... have fun learning c.

Sensors are not available yet, but there is JSR 256 coming up.