Discussion Board

porting S60v3 program to S60v2

Hi all!
    i want to use an application developed for S60 3° ed. in my 6630 (S60 2°ed)...

i can't upgrade my mobile from 2ed to 3ed but in this thread Tumpelo suggest me to port the application (it's freeware) to 2ed...

if i have the source code of a program written for a symbian 3ed can i rewrite it for a symbian 2ed?
    there can be problems with symbian's system call?
    other problems that will occurr ?

thanks to all!

Super Contributor

Re: porting S60v3 program to S60v2

Mostly it will be straight forward. If your application does not use Symbian V3 New API sets. If you can give some idea about your application we may be to figure out what changes may req.

i don't know if the program (rotateme) uses Symbian v3 API because i don't have the sourcecode...

i don't know if the porting is possible because new v3 mobile can be used in landscape without that program (so i could think that landscape mode is a new API of symbian v3)...

but using my 6630, in multimedia menu i've found a program ("gestione immagini" in italian language, maybe "image manager" in english language) that show previews of images on a ring and that has the possibility to show the images in a fullscreen landscape mode (i hope you've understood about which is the program)...

if i'll obtain the source code, how can i see if used API are for 2ed or 3ed ?

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by le0n_84 View Post
    i don't know if the program (rotateme) uses Symbian v3 API because i don't have the sourcecode...
    Binary code cannot be ported.
    i don't know if the porting is possible because new v3 mobile can be used in landscape without that program (so i could think that landscape mode is a new API of symbian v3)...
    As far as I understand, support for orientation is part of the scalable UI concept, which is introduced with 2nd ed FP3. And it is not mandatory. For example N91 does not support orientation changes.
    but using my 6630, in multimedia menu i've found a program ("gestione immagini" in italian language, maybe "image manager" in english language) that show previews of images on a ring and that has the possibility to show the images in a fullscreen landscape mode (i hope you've understood about which is the program)...
    6630 is a 2nd ed. FP2 device, with no orientation support. An image viewer application can easily rotate images by itself or use orientation support of CFbs... classes.
    if i'll obtain the source code, how can i see if used API are for 2ed or 3ed ?
    You could simply check if the referred API-s exist in 2nd edition SDK-s. A 3rd edition project can be easily modified to compile on 2nd ed., then it will quickly turn out if it refers to non-existing API-s.