Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

extracting midlet jar file

Hi friends,
    I have download a software vendor's midlet jar file via wap to my mobile then transfer the file to my desktop via datacable .I want to extract this jar file whose type is application/octet-stream not application/x-zip-compressed .Normally I make jar type as in the form of application/x-zip-compressed .I am trying to extracting it after change its format to zip and extracting via winzip(that i normally doing and successfull in all cases but not this time) but it showing Invald archive! but in my mobile it is working fine .Also I am trying by command line tool like:
    >jar xf filename.jar
    >jar xvf filename.jar
    but nothing happen, it just exited from command prompt with no error and no extract files.Please help me regarding this matter.It is really urgent .If anyone get interest this matter please send mail id to me at suman.bera@gmail.com or post mail id in this thread ,I will send the jar file.Thanks in advance.
    With warm regards,
    suman

Super Contributor

Re: extracting midlet jar file

Well i faced similar prob for some jar , but then the jar is signed so i thought there might be some kind of security they are providing for this. so can u tell me if ur jar is signed or not?

Super Contributor

The signing is not the problem in here. Signing only adds some lines on the JAD file - the JAR file stays intact.

Why do you need to get the class files away from the archive the first place? The MIDlet is likely obfuscated anyway, so you do not achieve anything by ripping the JAR file in pieces..

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    ...Why do you need to get the class files away from the archive the first place? The MIDlet is likely obfuscated anyway, so you do not achieve anything by ripping the JAR file in pieces...
    maybe he wants to extract other kind of files from the package, such as images or sounds.

sumanbera, have you tried extracting the files with the phone, using X-plore?

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Super Contributor

Well Hartti, its just process of learning. Kind of knowing things inside out. Well but when that jar dosent open then i thought there might be some security thing behind it.

Any ways Hartti can u tell me if its just the some lines added in jad after signing, then how dose system varifies the jar is correct for this jad. I mean if some one copies these parameter into other jad then would it work, i suppose not. so as far as i believe there must be some thing also into jar from which system compare ur jad.

Thanks to all of you to give quick response.Midlet is not signed .Its jad proerty like this.
    MIDlet-1: Portfolio, /Portfolio.png, MainApp
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 139307
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: Portfolio_8.jar
    MIDlet-Name: Portfolio
    MIDlet-Vendor: Mobility, Kolkata, India
    MIDlet-Version: 5.1
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0
    Mobno: 919710161306
    Nokia-Update: http://10.48.3.70/PortfolioRevamp/Po...6&Downid=32106

So it is clear it is that application is not signed.Another thing its jar file name that is specified in jar URL that is not matching with actual jar file that I have .I konw that for installation midlet application MIDlet-Jar-URL :jar file name must match with actual jar file either installation form desktop to mobile via datacable or via OTA from http server.But i have no idea download from wap server, I think different copy of jar file installed .
    Another matter, Mobno: attribute specified in jad file comes from during installation because it shows the same phone number from same handset where I have download it.It also shows same phone number Nokia-Update: attribute also .Hou it is possible to dynamically cahnges jad file during installation to give user Phone number?
    post all of yours mail id if interested in this matter I will send this jar file if you able to extract jar file .I have never seen that a jar file can never be extracted.It is is not a problem if class file is obfuscated . I want its class files and images files .Its jar file type is quite bit confusing that jar type: application/octet-stream .
    regards,
    suman

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by sumanbera View Post
    Thanks to all of you to give quick response.Midlet is not signed .Its jad proerty like this.
    MIDlet-1: Portfolio, /Portfolio.png, MainApp
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 139307
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: Portfolio_8.jar
    MIDlet-Name: Portfolio
    MIDlet-Vendor: Mobility, Kolkata, India
    MIDlet-Version: 5.1
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0
    Mobno: 919710161306
    Nokia-Update: http://10.48.3.70/PortfolioRevamp/Po...6&Downid=32106

So it is clear it is that application is not signed.Another thing its jar file name that is specified in jar URL that is not matching with actual jar file that I have .I konw that for installation midlet application MIDlet-Jar-URL :jar file name must match with actual jar file either installation form desktop to mobile via datacable or via OTA from http server.But i have no idea download from wap server, I think different copy of jar file installed .
    Another matter, Mobno: attribute specified in jad file comes from during installation because it shows the same phone number from same handset where I have download it.It also shows same phone number Nokia-Update: attribute also .Hou it is possible to dynamically cahnges jad file during installation to give user Phone number?
    post all of yours mail id if interested in this matter I will send this jar file if you able to extract jar file .I have never seen that a jar file can never be extracted.It is is not a problem if class file is obfuscated . I want its class files and images files .Its jar file type is quite bit confusing that jar type: application/octet-stream .
    regards,
    suman
    OK, send to me: tony_ysy@yahoo.com
    See what I can help with my fedora core 6.

alb3530 AT yahoo DOT com DOT br
    Http_user_agent:
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Super Contributor

Prakash.raman

"Any ways Hartti can u tell me if its just the some lines added in jad after signing, then how dose system varifies the jar is correct for this jad. I mean if some one copies these parameter into other jad then would it work, i suppose not. so as far as i believe there must be some thing also into jar from which system compare ur jad."

In general two things
    1) The JAR size attribute in the JAD file has to match exactly with the size of the real JAR file
    2) The sigining adds the a checksum in the JAD file, which is calculated using the certificate (private key) used in signing and the JAR file. This is verified during the installation process with the root certificate on the phone. If you tamper with the JAR file the checksum calculated during the installation does not match the RSA-SHA JAD attribute and the installation fails.

Hartti

Super Contributor

sumanbera

"Another matter, Mobno: attribute specified in jad file comes from during installation because it shows the same phone number from same handset where I have download it.It also shows same phone number Nokia-Update: attribute also .Hou it is possible to dynamically cahnges jad file during installation to give user Phone number?"

During the installation process this is not possible. You can dynamically serve a customized JAD file from the server the user downloads the JAD file from. After the JAD file has arrived to the phone, you cannot change the JAD attributes anymore

Hartti

Hartti ,can you post your mail id so that I can send to you jar & jad file if you can extract?
    Regards,
    Suman

Super Contributor

You can reach me through my screen name
    no attachments though

Hartti

hartti, how can I send jar & jad file to you?Application is really interesting stuff.

well, it's not an ordinary file.
    I can't comment any further, let the experts do:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=53f8wt5&s=1

But why exactly do you want to extract the files from this application?What's your goal in doing this?

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Regular Contributor

Hi sumanbera,
    The jar file is not an ordinary file. It is protected and cannot be extracted with a normal extraction method. I am not sure what kind of protection that it has been made of. It may be Eg.: DRM protected. From the bash shell command, it says it is a ": data".