Discussion Board

need help on developing chat server for J2ME chat client

Hi ppl, i'm sheetal from m'sia here. I was told about this forum lately by my seniors. they said i can get help here.
    Neway i've already created simple JAVA server and CLIENT. now, i need to develop CHAT CLIENT IN J2ME & using GPRS to establish the connection. whn i develop the client in simple java, i did not use the login form,

1) how to do login part?
    2) and where does it actually connect?
    3) can i use the same chat server for the J2ME client? (chat server is using socket programming) which protocol should J2ME use to connect to server via GPRS?

4) i'm using broadband connection in my home, do i need any GPRS modem for my PC so that my server can have public IP?

Re: need help on developing chat server for J2ME chat client

Hello everyone....why am i getting no reply...please i need your help guys...

Super Contributor

Hi Sheetal, i have discussed these querry with one Mapetos earlier, u can follow the link and see if u get ur solution, if any more querry after that, post it u will surely get ur reply...

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=115587

Thanks for the reply....From the thread i guess i can use socket programming..but i still got doubts...hmmm how does the login part works on client side...actually i only need simple login to get nick for the user...so in the chatroom it display nickname..how to do that? any database invloves? Do i need the GPRS modem to setup in pc? Please do reply

Super Contributor

Well Sheetal, see if u want login just for sake of Nick name and not security, then u can directly append the name and password data in the url u r sending to server and there u can check it with in database and give the user the access. See database come into picture if number of user increseas, if ur making just for project or test u can simply manage database by writing loging name corresponding to password and nick in a file of xls file.

As far as GPRS modem on pc is concern, u dont need it, but u do need one public ip on the internet which client can hit as url. Well if u have access of wireless lan and N95 or N80 kind of phone which support WLAN then u can test ur app on these phone on ur pc.

Hye prakash thanks for the reply.Glad that i'm getting reply.Hmmm can i ask u something?
    Well u said database is to manage users if they increase,ok fine about it. Let say i have created a database. How to connect my chat server to it? Is it direct connection or have to pass by any drivers such as JDBC driver?
    Lastly if i want to send data such as username n password for login verification...hmmm...does it directly check with the databse or through the server?
    As i said i only created java chat server n client based on tutorials where it doesn't have the login part all..So now i have been assigned to do for mobile user! anyone with the solution please do reply...

Super Contributor

Hi Sheetal, well ur client never connect to data base directly, it cant. U have to place a server which will entertain the client request and on client request it will read and write into data base. Your Chat Server can do it for u. And how to connect database depends on wat type of database it is, i havent worked much on database but using java u can do this. I believe u have made ur Server in j2se?