Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Moderator

Can we Increase the RAM?

Hello Everyone

Well i have attached a screen shot of a 7610 phone.As you can see in the FExplorer.It says that D: is the ram drive and 1400/1403KB. So the Total size is 1403 Kb. This value keeps on changing from time to time.Maximum value that i have seen is around 1820 KB.

Now as per as my observation the number of applications that we can open or we can keep open depends on the ram available. As we open an application the amount of used ram increases. Sometimes i have problems that an open application is terminated as it requires more memory then available.

So my question is that are there any means in pys60, to increase the memory alloted for d: that is the ram drive?

I have posted a similar topic in the general to know if there is a solution on any other platform other than python...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Re: Can we Increase the RAM?

Hi Pankaj

Well RAM is basically a hardware, OS decides allocation of this memory dynamically. So depending on the application which you are using in your phone will consume the memory. The maximum limit of this memory is the capacity of your RAM. Mobile hardware is not having a facility like a PC that you can insert a new RAM strip in RAM bay to increase the RAM.

In short you can not change either increase or decrease the amount of RAM available. This is one of the factor a developer should keep in mind like memory size, processing power and screen size in the mobile phones.

I hope it is clear..
    ||Kiran ||
    Nokia E-65
    Nokia 7610
    Nokia N95 8GB
    Nokia E90
    Nokia 5110 !!
    Nokia 6110i !!

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    ...Well i have attached a screen shot of a 7610 phone.As you can see in the FExplorer.It says that D: is the ram drive and 1400/1403KB. So the Total size is 1403 Kb...

Now as per as my observation the number of applications that we can open or we can keep open depends on the ram available. As we open an application the amount of used ram increases. Sometimes i have problems that an open application is terminated as it requires more memory then available.

So my question is that are there any means in pys60, to increase the memory alloted for d: that is the ram drive?...
    D: drive is just a part of main RAM (indicated as "FreeMem:" in FExplorer) that's available as a disk (so that files can be stored there even manually).The space reserved for D: drive varies from phone to phone: in devices like 7610, 6600, 6680, and N90, just a small portion of RAM is available (approx. 1500kb).In the other hand, in phones like N80, you have the whole free RAM available as the size of D: drive.

In your phone, you just can't expand the total size of D: drive to give to it the total amount of free RAM available as free space, for example.

As for having seen an increase in D: drive's total size to 1820 kB, i think you've made some mistake, as total size is always either static, or less than 1403 Kb (in the case main RAM goes lower than 1403 Kb) in your phone

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Quote Originally Posted by alb3530 View Post
    D: drive is just a part of main RAM (indicated as "FreeMem:" in FExplorer) that's available as a disk (so that files can be stored there even manually).The space reserved for D: drive varies from phone to phone: in devices like 7610, 6600, 6680, and N90, just a small portion of RAM is available (approx. 1500kb).In the other hand, in phones like N80, you have the whole free RAM available as the size of D: drive.

In your phone, you just can't expand the total size of D: drive to give to it the total amount of free RAM available as free space, for example.

As for having seen an increase in D: drive's total size to 1820 kB, i think you've made some mistake, as total size is always either static, or less than 1403 Kb (in the case main RAM goes lower than 1403 Kb) in your phone

best regards
    Well i havent made any mistake in seeing the size of d:
    I have attached a screenshot frm my device showing some 1800kb of RAM.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Well i havent made any mistake in seeing the size of d:
    I have attached a screenshot frm my device showing some 1800kb of RAM...
    the two screenshots aren't from the same phone.

I would guess the first screenshot is from a 7610, and the second...from a 6680 (or some other S60 2nd ED. FP2 device, like the 6630).

See what i've posted before:
    Quote Originally Posted by alb3530 View Post
    ...As for having seen an increase in D: drive's total size to 1820 kB, i think you've made some mistake, as total size is always either static, or less than 1403 Kb (in the case main RAM goes lower than 1403 Kb) in your phone...
    when i told "in your phone", i meant, in a same phone, if you have XXXX kB as the total size of D: drive, (and main RAM is bigger than D: drive's total size), it's impossible to increase this size to a greater value.Take the first screenshot you've posted as an example: 1403kB is the total size of D: drive, and main RAM is greater than it.Then, we can conclude it's impossible to increase total size of D: drive (in the same phone, of course) to some amount that's greater than 1403kB.

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

@alb3530

Yeah I Guess so the ram is fixed for different devices.And yes you are right the 2 screen shots we frm different phone...

Gr8 so we cant increase the Ram...
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com