Discussion Board

Emulator - Required Application access not granted

Hi there,

I'm trying to install a SIS file (Flash Lite 2.1) on the emulator that comes with the S60 3rd Edition FP 1 SDK.

From the Technical Library (TSS000614), I read that the emulator does not have any root certificates installed, so I downloaded the file on that page and installed them as it suggests.

I'm able to start the install process via App.Manager, but get the message "Required Application access not granted" mid way through.

Is it correct to assume that the FL2.1 SIS requires capabilities not covered by the root certificates available in the Technical Library? Or might the problem lie elsewhere?

Thanks,
    mark

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Emulator - Required Application access not granted

Where did you get windows build for the Flash lite application ?

yucca

Its just the Flash Lite 2.1 Player - its not an application. I downloaded it from Adobe.

I know I could use Adobe's Device Central for testing FL apps, but I'm developing something that communicates with python and wanted to use the SDK emulator to see how it was working. I've set a pys60 emulator and a webserver on my machine, and can test using loopback to localhost, but thought I'd also try with the emulator that comes with the S60 3rd ed. FP1 SDK as well.
    Last edited by mshepard; 2007-09-30 at 19:26.

Quote Originally Posted by mshepard View Post
    ...I'm able to start the install process via App.Manager, but get the message "Required Application access not granted" mid way through.

Is it correct to assume that the FL2.1 SIS requires capabilities not covered by the root certificates available in the Technical Library?...
    Hi mshepard

it's not correct.Root certificates have no power in granting capabilities to an application.

That error message you got means application's SIS file was signed with a certificate that doesn't grant some capability required by the application.
    Since there's no such problem with the FlashLite application from Adobe, there's something wrong with the emulator.

As far as i know, if the problem was with root certificates, you'd have to get "File corrupted" during installation.

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Thanks for the reply,

I did originally get the "File corrupt" error prior to downloading the root certs for the emulator from the Technical Library note.

Looks like I need to read up on signing and maybe use Ensymble to resign the FL player for the emulator...

Mark

...Looks like I need to read up on signing and maybe use Ensymble to resign the FL player for the emulator...
    It's a weird issue, assuming file will install in a real device.

I don't know if you sign the file, it will install, once there isn't anything wrong with the application.

You may consider removing the SDK and installing it again, if everything else fails.

Please post your findings if you have some progress in this matter.

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Regular Contributor

I got this same error too, with Flash Lite Player 2.1 and S60 SDK FP2.

But the same error doesn't occurs on the phone, i've already tested it; but only in emulator.

I don't know what's happening.

Somebody please help.

you can not install sis files that are made for device installation to the emularoe, since you would need to get winscw build executables for the emulator, where as for devices they are either gcce or armv5 builds.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    you can not install sis files that are made for device installation to the emularoe, since you would need to get winscw build executables for the emulator, where as for devices they are either gcce or armv5 builds.
    I apologize for my ignorance, as I am new to Symbian development. But this seems unfortunate, as it basically means the bytecode running on the emulator is not the same as that running on real devices. This also removes the ability to use the emulator to test out software as well?

How would one test plug'ins to certain software if winscw build executable's are not typically distributed. i.e. y-browser :)

Thanks!
    Last edited by emobo; 2009-03-04 at 05:33.

Well, you contact the provider of the application you want to extend and ask for a WINSCW build that you can install in the emulator. Just like Nokia provided a WINSCW build in the SDK so should the other developers which are offering APIs for their applications.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I get some problem, I don't think the application wrang, but what happen on emulator? who can't explain it!?

Just read the posts above. For the same problem, the same answers apply.
    If you have a new or slightly different problem, open a new thread and explain what you need.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

From the Technical Library (TSS000614), I read that the emulator does not have any root certificates installed, so I downloaded the file on that page and installed them as it suggests.
    That URL is no longer working. I have the "requested application access not granted" problem too. I don't know how could nokia develop a emulator that does not run native bytecode. With VMWare Workstation you can.

You can freely search for TSS000614 in the Wiki: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ition_emulator
    The emulator comes from an era when processor emulation was too demanding to the hardware. Remember that Epoc comes from the mid-1990-s.
    The VMWare Workstation remark is somehow hard to interpret.

Note that you can always install SIS files on real devices (http://developer.nokia.com/rda) and that would be a more sensible thing to do. The emulator must be cleaned-up before installing a WINS SIS file since the build already creates the binaries and deployes them to the correct location, as if the application would already be part of the firmware ...
    -- Lucian