Discussion Board

Maximum size of jar/application for Nokia 7650 ?

Hi,

I developed a game with the simulator and now I can not install it on the phone - seems to be the problem of the size of the content.
    The jar is now 500KB. What is the limitation for applications on the 7650?
    It is propably not the amount of free memory :-((

Regular Contributor

RE: Maximum size of jar/application for Nokia 7650 ?

Hi there,
    Did you try to install a smaller MIDlet on the phone ? (also one you created yourself). Would be one way to verify if JAD and manifest files are correct.
    To my knowledge there should be no problem with any limit, as long as you have enough memory to run the installed midlet afterwards

Biggest I tried was 180 KB, worked fine.

Oh, one more thing. How do you get the JAR over to the phone ? OTA, IrDA, Infrared, Bluetooth or email ?

Cheers,

Sam

I am a game developer,we deleloped j2me games for 7650.The biggest jar we have try is near 700k!!!.but if jar larger than 700k it cann't run. our biggest game's size is over 500k!!!

Regular Contributor

Just a follow up to my old reply.

We have a JAR of 353 KB and it does not work with OTA downloads (with Bluetooth) it works FINE.
    I have tried different JAR sizes and it seems to stop with files >= 300.000 bytes (297863 worked, 300469 failed).
    greateorion: did you try your 500KB with OTA download ?

Anyone from Nokia got a comment ?

I have a 389KB jar file that runs well on emulator, but not on 7650. It can be installed on the phone but when trying to open the app. there is no response at all. Wonder if it is because of the size limit.

OTA limits

There are no published limits for 7650 and it seems it very much depends on memory available.
    There are usually limits for OTA download. Most gateways prohibit anything bigger than 100kB and if there is missing the reassembly component on the WAP gate it can be down to 32 kB.