Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

AP with 802.1x and EAP plug-in

Hi, I often use in my programs access point creation, gprs and wi-fi.
    I found in this forum how to create wi-fi access points with the configuration of wep keys.
    Now I'm tying to use an another type of authentication, in fact in many use cases I need to use 802.1x authentication.

I would try to create an access point programmatically with this configuration (now my company system admin's create them manually.. ), but I'm not able to find api's or methods than create this type of AP ( I need to set EAP plug-in with the company certificate and username/password ).

In cdbcols.h header file I can see some tables :
    Code:
    #define	EAP_SEC_TABLE	_S("EAPSecuritySettingsTable")
    #define	TUN_EAP_TABLE	_S("TunnelledEAPSettingsTable")
    #define	EAP_TLS_TABLE	_S("EAPTLSSettingsTable")
    #define	LEAP_TABLE         _S("LEAPSettingsTable")
    but I can't access them because I think that are protected...

Anyone know how to access this tables or how to set EAP plug-in parameters ?

thanks.

Ste

Regular Contributor
    "On a b'ful lil palnet called EARTH belongs wid Galaxy named MilkyWay in Universe"

Re: AP with 802.1x and EAP plug-in

Quote Originally Posted by morost View Post
    Hi, I often use in my programs access point creation, gprs and wi-fi.
    I found in this forum how to create wi-fi access points with the configuration of wep keys.
    Now I'm tying to use an another type of authentication, in fact in many use cases I need to use 802.1x authentication.

I would try to create an access point programmatically with this configuration (now my company system admin's create them manually.. ), but I'm not able to find api's or methods than create this type of AP ( I need to set EAP plug-in with the company certificate and username/password ).

In cdbcols.h header file I can see some tables :
    Code:
    #define	EAP_SEC_TABLE	_S("EAPSecuritySettingsTable")
    #define	TUN_EAP_TABLE	_S("TunnelledEAPSettingsTable")
    #define	EAP_TLS_TABLE	_S("EAPTLSSettingsTable")
    #define	LEAP_TABLE         _S("LEAPSettingsTable")
    but I can't access them because I think that are protected...

Anyone know how to access this tables or how to set EAP plug-in parameters ?

thanks.

Ste
    hey Ste...
    do u wana crack WEP keys in 802.11..?? can u be more specific about requirment.?
    ===With Symbian===
    "Something Has Survived..!!!"

Regular Contributor

eheh , I don't want to crack wep keys...

I'm writing an application that works only with some AP ( company wlan and predefined company mobile operator ).
    One of the feauteres that I want is that : if the access point is not present in the device that application automatically creates it.

I'm able to create the operator AP ( in my case vodafone.. ) programmatically, I'm also able to create a simple wlan access point.
    The problem is that in my company ( and also in many others big companies ) the wlan network use an 802.1x authentication...
    Actually every device that need to use the application must be configured by the network admin that sets manually the wlan access point ( in EAP plug-in the company certificate and the device user usn/pwd) .

I want, if possible, do that programmatically.. but I don't find api's for this operation... maybe for the problem that you writed... ( security and possible cracking... ).

a second question... there are some protected ( partner ) API's that do that ?

thanks.

Ste

Regular Contributor
    "On a b'ful lil palnet called EARTH belongs wid Galaxy named MilkyWay in Universe"

No man... sorry
    As there is no public API to do that, NO you can't.
    The wlan interface does it automaticaly to give you the list of available networks.

And no matter router is using WEP or not, beacon frames are sent over the air always, even with WPA. These frames are used to inform about the availability of a wlan network. nd if u wana enter in those secure network then it's qt tuff task.. u hav to know WEP encryption for this.. well its nt impossible but also nt so easy...
    ===With Symbian===
    "Something Has Survived..!!!"

Regular Contributor

I return to this old question...

my AP, configured in the device, is 802.1x with WPA/WPA2 setting : EAP , EAP-PEAP with a personlized ( corporate ) CA certificate and with EAP-MSCHAPv2 settings with my corporate usn/pwd.

first question... if there are no api's for create this access point... is possible to create it with ota ? and whit the client provisioing plugin ?( I use that for create voip settings... but creates also AP... )

second question... I'm trying to use the CApAccessPointItem CopyFromL() function for copy the content of a pre-existing access point (is the same access point, with 802.1x-EAP ecc. ) but the function never copy anything...

Code:
     CApAccessPointItem* item1 = CApAccessPointItem::NewLC();
    	 CApAccessPointItem* item1 = CApAccessPointItem::NewLC(); 
    	 handler->AccessPointDataL(ID1,*item1);
    	 handler->AccessPointDataL(ID2,*item2);
    	 item1->CopyFromL(*item2);
    the problem is that this code dosn't work also for simple open acess points... where's the error ?

I'm trying also to usa CApDataHandler CreateFromDataL(item1) but it creates a new access point whit the EAP part not configured correctly...
    If I use CApDataHandler CreateCopyFromL(ID1) creates the copy correctly...

Ste

Have you found any solution to create an access point with specific EAP, 802.1X and MSCHAPv2 settings with programming it on your own?

Or is this still probably not possible so that you have to use the manual process defined by the interface of the phone you are using to set the specific parameters for your access point?