Discussion Board

Question Getting started, a slew of basic questions

Hello,

I have not yet purchased any Nokia NFC products, and I need help understanding the various configuration options. I have worked with NFC in C++/# and Windows configurations, but am new to the world of Midlets.

With the goals of...
    1. Writing and reading to 4K Mifare cards and,
    2. Establishing a NFC peer to peer connection with a different NFC device

Here are my questions:
    Q1. On the Nokia 6131 NFC, from where can the contactless front end be accessed by an application? From the Secure Element (evidently)? From a MO Sim card? From the 6131 OS itself somehow, i.e., similar to WM50?

Q2. I see this question asked, but never the answer; if I buy a 6131 NFC from NokiaUSA, is there REALLY a "unlocking midlet" that exists, that is 'public', and is readily accessible? If NO, then how (and where) would I be able to load any applications/applets on that device? Does the answer change if I get a signing certificate?

Q3. Can someone explain the actual process of loading an application onto the phone (or SE)? Does this involve PC Suite, or is it only through external readers? Reading the Nokia SDK User's and Programmer's Guides has only served to confuse me

Q4. Is Eclipse a sufficient development environment? Is there a way to debug (breakpoints, etc.) on the emulator? How about on an applet installed on an actual 6131?

Q5. What equipment is recommended to get an initial demo started? Recommendations for: phone variant, readers, encoders, IDEs, etc., would be oh so greatly appreciated.

Q6. Am I missing a reference to a great document, book, Sticky thread, or website that captures all the above ?

Many thanks in advance for whatever information you all can provide. Here's hoping I can one day return the favor!

Rich

Regular Contributor

Re: Getting started, a slew of basic questions

I'll make an attempt at answering some of your questions ...

The applications you write for running on the phone that access the contactless reader are Java Midlets which are installed into the phone memory and run by the user. An external card reader can interact with applications stored within the secure element however the secure element cannot just start doing anything without being invoked.

To get the unlock midlet you need to speak to Nokia, who I believe will only release it to R&D departments from companies rather than an individual. It is possible to buy a pre-unlocked phone from TopTunsite (name might not be exact, but they are referenced to within the forum). Without unlocking the phone, the secure element app needs to be installed via a trusted 3rd party who know what keys are in the phone (I'm not sure how this whole process works properly, perhaps someone else can comment).

Even with an unlocked phone, you will still need a code signing certificate if you want your midlets to interact with the secure element - there is no need for this if you only want to interact with external MiFare (e.g.) cards.

Installing a midlet onto a phone can be done via nokia pc suite, or a simple bluetooth OBEX transfer, or linking from a web page and downloading via the phone browser.

Installing into the SE (once unlocked) requires a tool like JCOP which knows how to deal with a JavaCard (guides on java.sun.com, I also created a detailed(ish) post on how I did it if you search the forum).

I use Eclipse however don't bother with the emulator as most of my work is developed on Linux (no emulator on Linux), if you use eclipse on windows the nokia NFC SDK does include a plugin which should allow things like that.

Equipment along the lines of an unlocked 6131NFC Phone, a cardreader (I have the Omnikey 5321), couple of MiFare cards (assuming you want to work with them). If you intend to use JCOP then the easiest way to activate it is by buying a JCOP engineering sample. The last I knew it was hard to get it activated after IBM stopped work on it.

HTH,

-Jeff

Red face Re: Getting started, a slew of basic questions

Hey, thanks so much for your response. It really helped to clarify a plan. I will start with phones and cards, and leave the next set of equipment for later.

Later, if I want the card to wake up an applet, I understand that this applet will have to be installed on the SE. I would guess that also, if I want to have the 6131 emulate a 4K card, that I would need to install on the SE, because the internal 4K memory is part of that element. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to put together your response; I was stuck in indecision-land

-Rich

Regular Contributor

You can have an external card auto-start a midlet installed into the phone. I don't believe you can have an external card do anything to the secure element, only an external reader can.

The secure element comes with a 4k MiFare card by standard, you don't need to do anything to get it (you still need a signed midlet to access it from the phone tho). If you want to work with that, perhaps you shouldn't get the 5321 card reader, there is an issue (with workaround) for the reader to detect the mifare emulation - there is a post or 2 on the forums about this issue and solution as well.

Hy!

I'm in the same situation like Rich. Making a plan on how to develop cardlets and midlets to nokia 6131.

What does it mean : "Even with an unlocked phone, you will still need a code signing certificate if you want your midlets to interact with the secure element", what is this code signing certificate? How can i acquire such a thing?

I've got a Mifare Pegoda and a NXP contactless card readers. What do you think, guys, they'll will work with the nokia 6131?

Many thanks for your information.

Leslie

Regular Contributor

http://www.thawte.com/ - will allow you to sign a midlet (Other CAs are available)

Hi Guys,

I'm in the way to deciding which equipment to buy too. I've come up with 2 options; the Toptunniste kit, and the CDE Kit. I basically think the difference is just the reader. The CDE kit comes with the Omnikey reader and some pre-installed demo applications. The other comes just plain.

Since I've seen the Nokia SDK recommends the Omnikey reader, I'm not sure if the the othere one (TopTunniste) is a good option.

If you guys have an idea, I would appreciate it a lot!

Cheers!

The TopTunniste reader also come with demo to test Iso 14443 communication between reader and SE. Only difference that OmneyKey could be used for testing in SDK emulator. What about the price of CDE product, I didn't found nothing there.

Hi Alex,

The price for their kit is around 1500 euros. So you say Omnikey has an emulating environment the Toptunniste reader doesn't have?

Cheers

Nokia guys currently support only two reders which can be used in SDK emulator for testing. Otherwise no big difference. I wonder will it be support for pcsc in SDK emulator, so any reader which has pcsc driver could be used. I hope Nokia will clarify this later.
    ToP Tunniste kit is 285 euros plus developer phone 295.

HI Alex,

"Even with an unlocked phone, you will still need a code signing certificate if you want your midlets to interact with the secure element - there is no need for this if you only want to interact with external MiFare (e.g.) cards."

Does this mean that I need the 'unlocked' phone even if I just want the phone to act just as a tag to and from which I can write and read information using an external reader?

Yes. In the phone where SE is unlocked MIFARE key A and key B are not default values, but some others as far as I know.

Hi,

Could someone help me with Nokia NFC solutions?

Here is what our company want to experiment:

- Get a NFC phone so we can scan/read active RFID tags/device within 50 meter range or scan/read passive RFID tags within 1-10cm range. We would like to experiment with both indoor and outdoor environment.

- We also want to program the NFC phone (secure element) with our java midlet application. that would process the information obtained by scanning the tag and thencommunicate the results to another java application we program on the phone. The application will then send the results back to a HTTPS back-office server via the data channel of phone.

- A user may touch his NFC phone with another NFC phone. My java applications running on each NFC phone shall read the information from each other and then process the information and both display the result to the user and send the info back to a backend HTTPS server via the data channel.

- The midlet application would be developed on a PC based on Java JSR and Nokia APIs.

- Ideally, I could program (write to) the Nokia phone and its secure element on a PC via USB conection to the NFC phone..

- Ideally, I could also program (write to) passive NFC tags using my custom java midlet running on the Nokia Phone.

In such cases, could you tell me what type of products at the minimum I would need to get, so I may proceed with my application development?

Regards,
    Ken