Discussion Board

Question My application closes automatically when the camera in video mode is open

I just want a short information. Is it true that the Symbian OS closes applications when too much of them are open? If so, are the applications terminate in any particular order? I am using an N95 to do my test. My application always get terminated when I open the N95 camera in video mode. Any help or reference to a link explaining this behavior is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Re: My application closes automatically when the camera in video mode is open

In Symbian 8.0 or later, the system will close applications automatically when RAM memory is low.

In your case, when you open camera, the RAM is (for some reason i.e. your application is consuming a really great amount of operating memory) going to a critical level that causes system to close other applications running in background, in order to release enough memory for camera.

Note that, by setting your application as a system application, the System won't close it in low memory conditions or when a backup of phone memory is being created in memory card.

in that case, when trying to open the camera, device would only display a memory full warning, avoiding camera to be properly launched, and your application would remain running: just like what happened, by default, in older versions of Symbian OS.

best regards
    Last edited by alb3530; 2007-10-03 at 20:39. Reason: adding info
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Hi alb3530,

thank you for your quick reply. I would like to know how to set my application as a system application. Is it something you can set in in the MMP file or is it another procedure to follow? Again, your response is well appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by White_Tiger75 View Post
    Hi alb3530,

thank you for your quick reply. I would like to know how to set my application as a system application. Is it something you can set in in the MMP file or is it another procedure to follow? Again, your response is well appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    You can achieve it with CEikonEnv::SetSystem()

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

This answer my question. Thanks a lot alb3530.