Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Help Needed!!! Debugging with Carbide 1.2

Hi all,
    I am new to carbide 1.2 and I'm basically a newbie to Symbian. So please bear with me. i have the following 3 questions:

1. Can anybody please tell me how i can Debug an application, using breakpoints and seeing the sequence of how the application is working?

2. I don't understand why in the debug window there are so many threads. What do these do and what purpose does it serve while debugging?

3. Is there an easy way to see the sequence of execution of the application?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

thanks
    with best regards
    Shankha

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Help Needed!!! Debugging with Carbide 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by shankha View Post
    1. Can anybody please tell me how i can Debug an application, using breakpoints and seeing the sequence of how the application is working?
    Put breakpoints on the line where the opening brace of a method is (right-click on the left-margin, and "Toggle breakpoint"). Then you can click on the Debug icon, and when you hit a breakpoint, you can check what happens in the method, or just hit F8 (Resume).
    Also note that in 2nd edition S60 SDK-s, there is a nice sequence graph about application startup in the description of the HelloWorldBasic example.
    2. I don't understand why in the debug window there are so many threads. What do these do and what purpose does it serve while debugging?
    They do not "serve" any particular purpose for debugging, however they all exist in the emulator. Symbian is a multi-process, multi-thread environment, it has many threads.
    See "1.", put breakpoints on every method.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Help Needed!!! Debugging with Carbide 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by shankha View Post
    Hi all,
    I am new to carbide 1.2 and I'm basically a newbie to Symbian. So please bear with me. i have the following 3 questions:

Any help will be highly appreciated.

thanks
    with best regards
    Shankha
    Hi,

1. There is a screencast on forum nokia which is named Carbide_c++_ODD_v1.EXE which has a very good explaination of a step by step debugging process on the device and in emulator. that should be very helpful. It is available in this link
    2. Obviously there would be a number of threads and processes running simultaneously.
    3. Stepping in/over each statements and debugging line by line would help you understand the sequence of execution of the application

Hope it helps..
    good luck and cheers
    Neil