Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Reading and writing during the same session

Consider this,
    1). A phone (NFC) is used to read a tag (NDEF), by touching it.
    2). The read information are processed by the auto launched application on the phone.
    3). The processed information is written back to the tag, which is still touched.
    4). "Job done"

Is this procedure at all possible without having to touch the tag twice?

If not, is it a NFC forum specification issue, a JSR257 issue or is it a phone implementation specific issue?

In any case, I cannot get the Nokia 6131 phone to do this without touching the tag twice. I think it's a shame because the intuitive nature of NFC disappears. An end user would find it very annoying, having to remember to touch twice, when it dosen't make sense.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Regular Contributor

Re: Reading and writing during the same session

Ok, not much response here ;o)

Maybe the Nokia guys can give an answer on the implementation question?

Any way, I just thought that the procedure described was a normal use case scenario for allot of applications (e.g. smartcards) and not just in our setup?
    And maybe we are the only ones that see the "two touch" scenario as a user nuisance?

Is there a change in the functionality, related to target connections, if the application is installed on the secure element, compared to the phone memory?

Thanks!

There should be a way to do what you describe in a single touch. Take a look at the post from samuuh from earlier
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=115813

I haven't tried it myself, of course, but it should work, specification-wise, as long as the timeouts are met.

-rich

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response!

The problems I see is that,
    1. A P2P connection can not "auto launch" an application (Push Registry), so the user would have to launch the application manually before touching (not very convenient).

2. A work around could be that the target started out by looking like an NFC tag, there by auto launching the application on the phone. The phone could then try to setup the P2P connection.
    That would require an "intelligent" tag that could distinguee between an NFC tag connection and a P2P connection (I don't think such tags are available)

I think that what it comes down to is that the implementation in the Nokia phone is made in such a way that the user needs to launch the phone application manually before reading the tag. The only other solution with the present 6131 firmware is to touch the tag / target twice.

/Niels