Discussion Board

Authorize one particular app without certificate

Hi All.
    I'm not a company and I do not have plans to certificate my applications. I'm coding apps for my own use and for some reason I'm getting errors saying the app cannot do certain things "for security reason". I'm understanding this is because I dont have this application fully signed.

So my question is: is there a way that i can authorize my application to do whathever it wants without having a certificate ?

Thanks.
    Walter

Super Contributor

Re: Authorize one particular app without certificate

Quote Originally Posted by walter_mundstock View Post
    Hi All.
    I'm not a company and I do not have plans to certificate my applications. I'm coding apps for my own use and for some reason I'm getting errors saying the app cannot do certain things "for security reason". I'm understanding this is because I dont have this application fully signed.

So my question is: is there a way that i can authorize my application to do whathever it wants without having a certificate ?

Thanks.
    Walter
    Hi,

For installing in to a 3rd edition device you need to sign your application using a certificate.

If your application requires basic capabilities only, it can be signed with self-signed certificate.

you will get more details from http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...gn_Certificate

otherwise you can sign it using a developer certificate. The datails of this will get from http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...er_certificate

Hope you have got my point.

Regards,
    Peter

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Authorize one particular app without certificate

Hi Walter,

Welcome to the Forum.

Hi All.

Thanks.
    Walter
    If your application requires only user grantable capabilities then of course you can use Self-Signed Certificate.

If your application requires more than that of user grantable capabilities then you can try with Developer Certificate which will last for 6 months of period.

Kiran.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't expecting such a quick response

I have created my account in the SymbianSigned and submitted a certificate request for a Developer Certificate.

I got the certification key and used the following command to register:

signsis MyApp.sis MyApp.sisx Walter.cer Walter.key mypassword

When I install the MyApp.sisx I get the following message:
    Application is for development use only. Continuing installation may cause serious problems to your device. Continue ?

That is different from what i had before. So i'm understanding the signing process worked.

Now:

1. Shouldnt I see the certificate in the certificate manager ->auhority ?

2. When run my application it launches sucessfully.
    I'm using that HTTP Client example downloaded from Nokia Dev Network. I added the ClientEngine class to my project and when i try to call
    m_Client->IssueHTTPPostL(KUri(), KMimeType, postData8); (m_Client being CClientEngine)
    it gives me the following message in a popup window: Unable to execute file for security reason.

That was my original problem, and i thought that was because the app wasnt signed.

What can be wrong ?

Note: I'm working with E62 phone, dont know if that makes any difference.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Authorize one particular app without certificate

m_Client->IssueHTTPPostL(KUri(), KMimeType, postData8); (m_Client being CClientEngine)
    it gives me the following message in a popup window: Unable to execute file for security reason.
    Add NetworkServices capability in your .mmp file.
    You do not require any Developer Certificate for such user-grantable capability.

You can play with Self-Sign Certificate.

PS: Do not forget to rebuild/re-import your project once you make any change in your .mmp file.

Kiran.

Yeah! That was it. Thank you very much!
    I'm sorry for such a dumb error