Discussion Board

Data Caging / Private Directory Location

As the symbian criteria say that we need to create a file that contains the data in a private folder on the drive where the application is installed.

I can succesfuly create a private directory in the phone memory but when I create in the memory card it returns with access/permission denied error.

I know having a private path in the memory card is not really secured in the sense we can browse memory card with a reader on a PC.

But does it mean we can have a private path only in the phone memory?

One thing I need to say also that one of the symbian examples in the SDK, that is Dynamic buffers, create private path on EDriveC.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Data Caging / Private Directory Location

Quote Originally Posted by randhawp View Post
    As the symbian criteria say that we need to create a file that contains the data in a private folder on the drive where the application is installed.
    There is no such criteria. If your question is about PKG-04, it is talking about that you should remove data files created by your application. "Best practice" and "You must" are different expressions.
    I can succesfuly create a private directory in the phone memory but when I create in the memory card it returns with access/permission denied error.
    Which one (access/permission)? It works on all drives for me.
    I know having a private path in the memory card is not really secured in the sense we can browse memory card with a reader on a PC.

But does it mean we can have a private path only in the phone memory?
    No, it does not. For example when you install applications to the memory card/hard drive, their _reg.rsc file is going to be deployed to e:\private\10003a3f\import\apps.
    However I do not know what happens if you get a memory card which has no private folder in its root.

Quote Originally Posted by randhawp View Post
    ...I can succesfuly create a private directory in the phone memory but when I create in the memory card it returns with access/permission denied error...
    Assuming you're stating the paths for private folder using !: as the destination drive in the .pkg file, and when installed in C: it goes well, but it doesn't in E: , i can't really tell what's wrong.

However, if you've tried hardcoding it to specific drives instead, you could have made an UID mistake, so installer won't be able to create a private folder with an UID other than your application's.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    ...However I do not know what happens if you get a memory card which has no private folder in its root.
    SWI creates the folder.

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Quote Originally Posted by alb3530 View Post
    SWI creates the folder.
    Why would it do that? The case I have been thinking about is when you install to c:, and have a totally empty memory card, where the application tries to create its private folder.

Why would it do that? The case I have been thinking about is when you install to c:, and have a totally empty memory card, where the application tries to create its private folder.
    I was referring to this reply of yours (that one i'd actually quoted):

...For example when you install applications to the memory card/hard drive, their _reg.rsc file is going to be deployed to e:\private\10003a3f\import\apps.
    However I do not know what happens if you get a memory card which has no private folder in its root.
    In such case, SWI would create the folder.

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Quote Originally Posted by alb3530 View Post
    Quote: However I do not know what happens if you get a memory card which has no private folder in its root.
    In such case, SWI would create the folder.
    Obviously I was not asking about if the SWI can create \private. Since I was still interested, here are my findings:
    - an application cannot create an empty \private folder ("e:\\private\\")
    - an application can create its own private folder even if \private does not exist ("e:\\private\\AppSID\\" with MkDirAll), RFs::CreatePrivatePath does the same I guess
    The application was installed on c: of course.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Data Caging / Private Directory Location

Obviously I was not asking about if the SWI can create \private. Since I was still interested, here are my findings:
    - an application cannot create an empty \private folder ("e:\\private\\")
    - an application can create its own private folder even if \private does not exist ("e:\\private\\AppSID\\" with MkDirAll), RFs::CreatePrivatePath does the same I guess
    The application was installed on c: of course.
    I affirm this. One of my applications runs fine on E50, E61 and N93 without any problem. But when i tried on N95 (S60 3rd FP1) it didn't work. I needed to use RFs::CreatePrivatePath to come out from this situation.

Kiran.