Discussion Board

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem

Until version 3.1, I was very happy with my Nokia WAP Toolkit. I advised it to everyone. But with the new version (which you are forced to install, since the old version expires) Nokia has done a unbelievable bad job. If you're working with server-side scripting, an error in the script will result in a error page and then the emulator automatically does a history back. You will never see the error message itself, which means debugging is impossible. In the previous version of the emulator, you always saw the resulting source code, no matter how ugly the error was in the underlying server side script code. This was great! Is there anybody who has the same problems with the toolkit version 3.1. Developing server-side scripting code (ASP, PHP, ColdFusion, etc) for mobile devices is impossible since debugging is impossible. Is there anyone who can point me to a toolkit who works ok for that purpose? Until one month ago, I told everybody the Nokia Toolkit was the only possible option, but with version 3.1 this is over. Also, this new version is unstable, crashes every hour at least twice, for some reason does not pass on valid HTTP request headers. In other words, it s**ks big time.

Regular Contributor

RE: Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem

Hi Vierkant,

The "Content Data" field for the "Response" reporting the error will contain either "html text" from which the error occured or the error message (in encoded WML format) that you would see momentarily on the browser screen. This may be found in the Toolkit's "Session" tab menu.

If not, please send us a detailed description of the problem and info (e.g. which browser/emulator, URL) to help us investigate this.

Thanks
    Toolkit Team

RE: Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem

I agree! The software is almost unusable and definitely unstable.
    I would like to add one question: Where is the linux/unix version of the toolkit? This is ought to be a java software and one of the key things of java soft is that it should be easily runnable on any platform having a JRE.

Ok, besides the laming and groaning a have a real problem:
    I'm a quite novice in WAP/WML and my problem is that I don't know how to debug "Content could not be encoded by the gateway" kind of errors. Where can I find the original "bad" content the gateway couldn't encode? My wml code (php generated) is located at a server in a public network. And I'm using default connection and browsing settings.

Regards,
    Mikko