Discussion Board

May I build my GateWay for Mobile Web Server?

Hi:
    I've registered a counter on mymobsite.net,and logined the site on my emulator from other PC,but now I have a question:
    May I build a LAN through the MWS,just say May I build a GateWay myself,and not using the Nokia's gateway?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: May I build my GateWay for Mobile Web Server?

Quote Originally Posted by dubodog View Post
    May I build a LAN through the MWS,just say May I build a GateWay myself,and not using the Nokia's gateway?
    Yes and no.

You cannot setup a gateway like the one provided by http://mymobileset.net. However, you can setup a simpler gateway by downloading the source code from http://sourceforge.net/projects/raccoon.

Johan

Thanks jhnwkmn!
    you can setup a simpler gateway by downloading the source code from http://sourceforge.net/projects/raccoon.
    but your meaning is I can not configure my mws on my emulator or phone to connect my own "simpler gateway"?because I want to test my web application in my LAN.

Nokia Developer Expert

but your meaning is I can not configure my mws on my emulator or phone to connect my own "simpler gateway"?because I want to test my web application in my LAN.
    Using the open source gateway together with MWS (and not Raccoon) should work, but why do you want to use a gateway at all? Just start MWS on the emulator and browse directly to it using the IP-address of the computer on which the emulator is running.

The gateway should be transparent for all HTTP traffic, so things should just work when you later access your web-application running on the phone, over the gateway.

Johan

Hi Johan:
    in fact, I want to configure my own gateway by which user can access phone's or emulator's web application in the LAN, not by Nokia's gateway;
    I found mwsdb.db in the MWS which configure the connection with mobilesit.net ,and can I edit it so that make MWS connect to my GateWay?If can ,what can i do?
    thanks for you help!

Nokia Developer Expert

in fact, I want to configure my own gateway by which user can access phone's or emulator's web application in the LAN, not by Nokia's gateway;
    I found mwsdb.db in the MWS which configure the connection with mobilesit.net ,and can I edit it so that make MWS connect to my GateWay?If can ,what can i do?
    thanks for you help!
    The MWS gateway is not availabe; neither as a binary, nor as source. So you cannot setup a gateway of your own with which MWS could communicate. The only gateway you can use, is the one provided by Nokia.

However, the Raccoon gateway is available as source, so you can setup that yourself. But note, MWS is not compatible with the Raccoon gateway. You would have to install the Raccoon connector on your phone (or emulator), start that separately, and then start MWS without connecting to the (MWS) gateway. That should work.

But since you talk about accessing the emulator, why don't you connect directly? Why do you want a gateway?

Br,
    Johan

Hi Johan:
    But since you talk about accessing the emulator, why don't you connect directly? Why do you want a gateway?
    Thanks for your reply!In my experiment,we use the N95(but now we use one emulator) as the container for MWS,but we hope that in experiment we can access directly the phone's Web Services in our LAN,not through the Nokia's gateway(because it will cost our much money for internet).
    Can i access the Web Application in the N95 through the phone's IP which is 802.11b's ip?can you understand my meaning?
    thank you!

dubo

Nokia Developer Expert

Can i access the Web Application in the N95 through the phone's IP which is 802.11b's ip?can you understand my meaning?
    Yes you can.
    • Set up a WLAN access point.
    • Connect your phone to that WLAN.
    • Connect your laptop to that WLAN.
    • Browse from the laptop to the phone directly, using the IP address assigned by the WLAN access point.

If you run MWS on the emulator, simply browse to it using the IP address of the PC on which the emulator runs. The emulator uses the network stack of the PC, so the IP address of the emulator is the IP address of the PC.

Check also this posting: http://blogs.s60.com/mws/2007/10/usi...er_a.html#more

Br,
    Johan

Talking Re: May I build my GateWay for Mobile Web Server?

Thanks Johan! that is my question!