Discussion Board

CTelephony on 2nd ed and 3rd ed any issues?

A fast question here.

I'm using CTelephony to keep track of call status and network status, and have been playing with this on both a Symbian 8.1a ( N70 ) and a 9.2 ( N95 ), and so far it seems to work okey, but what I'm wondering is the following:

Whenever i see examples on how to access network info, ID info etc for 2nd gen app's CTelephony is not used, and it's only really "introduced" for 3rd ed, on the other hand it is described in the 8.1a API...

Is there any reason as to why i shouldn't use CTelephony? ( I'm only really aiming at support for N70 and forward, atm, allthough if it goes further back it's just "nice" )

A possible related q. with regards to no network/unknown network is posted, but I'm not too sure it has to do with the 2nd ed 3rd ed issue.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: CTelephony on 2nd ed and 3rd ed any issues?

Actually CTelephony is already introduced in 7.0, however Nokia decided to not put the necessary etel3rdparty.dll on most (all) of their 2nd edition devices (for some security reason). So CTelephony-stuff will not work on most 2nd edition devices.
    You can try if this applies to the N70 or not. The code will compile with the SDK-s, and it will even start on the emulator, since it has the .dll (however it obviously does nothing), so try it on the real target device.

Ah thanks.

It does seem to work on N70, at least to some extent, but i have to admit that that move is abit annoying, since it forces me to do the other implementation too

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Akorth View Post
    A fast question here.

I'm using CTelephony to keep track of call status and network status, and have been playing with this on both a Symbian 8.1a ( N70 ) and a 9.2 ( N95 ), and so far it seems to work okey, but what I'm wondering is the following:

Whenever i see examples on how to access network info, ID info etc for 2nd gen app's CTelephony is not used, and it's only really "introduced" for 3rd ed, on the other hand it is described in the 8.1a API...
    CTelephony is made Public in S60 SDKs with 8.1a onwards.
    Is there any reason as to why i shouldn't use CTelephony? ( I'm only really aiming at support for N70 and forward, atm, allthough if it goes further back it's just "nice" )
    There is no reason why you must not use CTelephony when you target for 8.1a or higher

A possible related q. with regards to no network/unknown network is posted, but I'm not too sure it has to do with the 2nd ed 3rd ed issue.
    Yes that can be detected with CTelephony too.

Great!, thanks.

as for the network unknown, i guess it might be the provider that doesn't define the network type then, somehow.