Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

N95 Invalid jar file

I tried to install a java applicaiton onto my N95 by download the jad. It shows invalid jar file.
    I can install it by downloading the jar file directly.
    The jar and jad works fine on simulator and other phones.

Any idea? please help

Re: N95 Invalid jar file

Check "MIDlet-Jar-Size" parameter in the JAD file, and see if the value stated there matches to the size of your JAR file.

Also, see whether the JAR file has the icon file in the path specified in "MIDlet-Icon" (in the .JAD file)

If the above suggestions didn't help you, please post your .JAD file here.

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Hi, I too am having the same issue. My MIDlet installs OTA fine on all other devices, Nokia included, but on the N95 gives a "Invalid Jar file" error.

Installing the Jar directly works fine.

Here is a copy of my JAD:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
    MIDlet-1: <name>,icons/icon.png,<midlet>
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: <jar-url>
    MIDlet-Permissions-Opt: javax.wireless.messaging.sms.send, javax.microedition.io.Connector.sms, javax.wireless.messaging.sms.receive, javax.microedition.io.PushRegistry
    MIDlet-Icon: icons/icon.png
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MIDlet-Version: 0.9.0
    MIDlet-Data-Size: 4000
    MIDlet-Info-URL: <website>
    MIDlet-Vendor: <company>
    MIDlet-Name: <name>
    MIDlet-Description: <description>
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0
    MIDlet-Permissions: javax.microedition.io.Connector.http
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 515265

I'm quite sure the URL and Jar size are correct having examined them. Besides, there are other devices that have complained if these were inconsistent in the past, and they all install fine at the moment. I can also confirm that these properties match my manifest entries.

I would be most grateful if anyone could shed some light on this. I'll post back if I find the solution myself.

I've found a solution to this problem; but it doesn't make sense to me.

The MIDlet will install fine if I increase the version to 1.0.0. Why can't I install a 0.9.0 version of my MIDlet onto a N95? Surely apps in beta are allowed ?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello pompeybob44uk,

are you sure it's because of the MIDlet-Version: 0.9.0 ?

I ran an app with this version number 0.9.0 using two different N95's, no problem with these. I changed the version number via Netbeans' Properties->Application Descriptor.

How did you define the MIDlet-Version? Did you open the JAD with some text editor (problem if JAD version data differs from Manifest version data), or did you define it via some development tool like Netbeans, Eclipse, etc.?

Regards,
    r2j7

Thanks for the reply. I have investigated the problem further and found more strange behaviour.

As I mentioned, a couple of days ago I was not able to install a MIDlet with version 0.9.0 onto my N95; whereas changing to version 1.0.0 seemed to resolve the problem. Well this evening, I have uninstalled the same 1.0.0 version of the MIDlet, and tried to reinstall OTA: I am again given the 'Invalid Jar file' message. This time I tried updating the version to 1.1.0, and it worked! So it seems that after uninstalling a MIDlet I cannot later reinstall the same MIDlet with the same version number.

Tomorrow I am going to try to install my MIDlet with version 0.9.0 onto a 'fresh' N95 and see if it fits the pattern here.

I am using a combination of Eclipse and Antenna to build my MIDlet. I assure you the JAD/JAR properties match up and install fine on all other devices I've tried.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello pompeybob44uk,

..it seems that after uninstalling a MIDlet I cannot later reinstall the same MIDlet with the same version number.
    So this happens only with OTA installation, no problems with Bluetooth, USB etc. installation?

Some suggestions: have you tried installing some simple (=like HelloWorld app without permissions, smaller JAR size etc.) MIDlet see whether it makes difference?

In addition, try changing the config value to see whether it does make any difference:

MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0 -> CLDC-1.1

Regards,
    r2j7

Hello r2j7,

This morning I tried installing my MIDlet (MIDlet-Version: 1.0.0) onto a new N95 device and it installed fine. Using the same MIDlet, same link etc, the N95 I was using before will not install (changing nothing!), giving the 'Invalid Jar file' message. On both devices I cleared the cache prior to downloading. Changing the CLDC version has no effect.

If I increase the version number it will install on both phones. However, I fear that if I uninstall version 1.1.0 then I will no longer be able to install it again on the same device until I increase to version 1.2.0...

I will try a HelloWorld sample minus permissions etc to experiment, but with all due respect this MIDlet installs fine on all other devices OTA, and even installs fine on the N95 'first time around', so I'm quite sure that I am not doing anything illegal. My MIDlet is even signed.

Searching the web I notice a few 'N95 invalid jar' posts - can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

Thanks.

P.S. If installing via the Nokia PC Suite then the problem disappears, but we want to make our app available OTA.

Super Contributor

You are installing on the memory card, right? Does it help if you install the MIDlet in the phone memory?

Are you saying that the first install on N95 succeeds, but when you try to upgrade an existing MIDlet, the instalation does not go through? In this case try to remove the existing MIDlet first and then install the new version

Hartti

On both N95s that I was installing on I was using the Phone Memory. Neither N95 had a previous version installed on it at the time. The only notable difference was that one had had a version installed on it in the past and that was the one that failed to install this time around.

I will have both N95s in the office again today so will experiment again and report the results.

I too have this problem on an N95 and an N73. In my case it appeared when I tried to install it from a web server that served the jad file without the .jad extension (at least it didn't include the .jad when I tried to save it with Internet Explorer). Not sure if the file extension makes a difference though. The web server also uses session id and such stuff, might have something to do with that I don't know.

When I downloaded the jad and jar to my computer and then tried to install it from a web directory it worked when I had a different version number but not the same as I had on the web server. Maybe this is a nokia bug that perhaps hasn't been recognised for being a bug yet. Or both me and pompeybob44uk is doing something wrong. But it works in the s40 emulator and on other phones.
    Last edited by Emilioz; 2008-04-23 at 16:03.

We are seeing similar problems with 6120c. Is there a workaround/fix?

Any solutions to this yet?

I'm in the same situation with N95 8GB and found that by increasing version numbers by adding another "dot-version" works (1.0 -> 1.0.0 -> 1.0.0.0, etc), but it is a tedious thing.

Thumbs up Re: N95 Invalid jar file

I think I've found a workaround for this problem. At least for the Nokia 6110 Navigator (v 4.22). Probably the same for N95:
    - install the version you have problem with via cable/bluetooth (Nokia PC Suite)
    - DON'T delete the MIDlet on the mobile
    - download the MIDlet via OTA, and replace
    - This should work!!!!!

To reproduce the problem that is decribed in the thread, do the following:
    1. Install e.g. a MIDlet v 1.0.0 via cable/bluetooth (Nokia PC Suite)
    2. Delete the MIDlet on your mobile. (For some reason it's not possible to delete the MIDlet via PC Suite)
    3. Try to download this MIDlet, still v 1.0.0(!), via OTA.
    4. On the Nokia 6110 you will now get the "Invalid jar file" message.....

/gjohre

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    Check for your PNG file in res folder when setting the jar properly, as well, check ur JAD file if valid.
    i have notice, in Nokia, it wont install ur MIDlet if the MIDlet Icon is missing or corrupted.

The Version thingi means that if you'll have the same version of a midlet which installed allready , and ur plans is to install it again over , it will be overwritten.(if permitted). check for this as well.
    Y