Discussion Board

Provisioning "data" (bookmarks, landmarks,, ...) on device without SMS or WAP Push

I hope this approximately the right sub-group to address... I have seen some threads that come close to my question, but not quite. If I'm rehashing well trodden paths, please direct me to the right historical threads.

For reference, I am using S60v3 devices, primarily an N95.

I want to know how I can provision various kinds of "data" (bookmarks, landmarks, RSS feeds, contacts, calendar entries, ...) on a device. Furthermore, I need a non-cellular (that is, no SMS nor WAP Push) solution; I'm looking at Bluetooth and IP connectivity, although NFC and Barcodes could also be options. I have located the Client Provisioning specifications (I have v1.8), and, as a test case, I am currently trying to provision a bookmark, using the example template it provides.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE wap-provisioningdoc PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD PROV 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/prov.dtd">
    <wap-provisioningdoc>
    <characteristic type="APPLICATION">
    <parm name="APPID" value="w2"/>
    <parm name="TO-NAPID" value="INTERNET"/>
    <characteristic type="RESOURCE">
    <parm name="AAUTHNAME" value="test-un"/>
    <parm name="AAUTHSECRET" value="test-pw"/>
    <parm name="URI" value="www.somecompany.com/startpage/index.wml"/>
    <parm name="NAME" value="Some Company WAP Service"/>
    <parm name="STARTPAGE"/>
    </characteristic>
    </characteristic>
    </wap-provisioningdoc>

However, if I BT this XML file, or the equivalent WBXML files (I tried version 1.0 through 1.3), the file is simply opened in a file viewer, and is not interpreted.

Q1: Is there are way to package this data such that it can be sent by BT and do what I want.

I have not yet tried to put these files onto a web server as that requires a bit more time investment. I wanted to see if I could get some insight before embarking on a possible dead-end. But assuming I go down that path...

Q2: What content-type would I use to deliver such a file over HTTP? Would it be application/vnd.wap.connectivity-wbxml? Or something else? And will the device browser trigger the right handler?

Lastly, I suspect that OMA has not defined specifications for some types of content (e.g. landmarks, plus any new application-specific data), so inevitably there will not be any handlers registered for certain MIME types on a device. It seems that one approach would be to use a SIS file (using FILERUN with a special data handler program or FILEMIME) to deliver and install data; while perhaps overkill, the SIS approach could be signed for integrity purposes.

Q3: Are there any examples of installing the kind of data I've mentioned through a SIS file? And where can I find them?

Q4: How can I tell what MIME types are "handled" on a device, by what agent, and in what contexts (e.g. it seems you can handle WBXML in certain cases (SMS), but not others (BT)).

I am sure I'll have more questions, but this is a good start. I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Provisioning "data" (bookmarks, landmarks,, ...) on device without SMS or WAP Pus

I tried putting my WBXML file on a web server, and delivering is as type application/vnd.wap.connectivity-wbxml. I did this by adding the following to my Apache httpd.conf file:

AddType application/vnd.wap.connectivity-wbxml .wbxml

Prior to this addition, I would get the same behavior I did when I used Bluetooth to transfer the file. The file would be opened in some text-like viewer (despite the binary data). With this content type change, I now get an message in the browser:

Unable to download 'bk-1-v1.0.wbxml'

I wasn't sure if this was the default for any unrecognized content types, so I added these extension mappings as well to my Apache server:

AddType application/octet-stream .xxx
    AddType application/bogus-madeup-fictitious .yyy

If I download a *.xxx or *.yyy file, I get the message:

Not supported

This suggests to me that the application/vnd.wap.connectivity-wbxml type is explicitly recognized, and explicitly rejected by the browser. Does that make sense? Can anyone confirm that behavior?

Thank you.

Re: Provisioning "data" (bookmarks, landmarks,, ...) on device without SMS or WAP Pus

I just tried to install the same bookmark in WBXML format through a SIS file, using the FILEMIME directive, but that didn't seem to have any better results. I used the following PKG file:

=-=-=
    &EN

%{"Testing"}
    :"Testing"

#{"Bookmark Provisioner"}, (0x0128f5a6), 1, 0, 0, TYPE=SA

[0x101f7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

;
    ; Write the file we really want to a local file, then invoke the right handler
    ;
    "bk-1-v1.0.wbxml"-"!:\data\provtest\foobar.wbxml",FILEMIME,"application/vnd.wap.connectivity-wbxml",RUNWAITEND
    =-=-=

The file does get installed into the file system, but nothing makes its way into the browser. So, it seems to me that either 1) I am using the wrong MIME type in the first place or 2) I have the right MIME type, but it can only be properly handled on device in certain circumstances (such as an incoming OMA CP/DM message). Is that really the case? Or have I made some error(s) along the way? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

What about OBEX File Push? Send a copy of one of the files from your mobile phone to your computer and analyze its file format + extension. Then, send it back. This works for vBookmark (specified in IrMC), Nokia Landmark – if you use Nokia Sports Tracker there are more formats like Google available – vCard and vCalendar items. I do not know about RSS.

OMA CP or OMA DM are more about configuring a device than sending actual user-data although it can be used…

Hi All,

Can I send only Bookmarks through OMA CP, If yes can anyone provide the XML for OMA CP bookmarks for Nokia-N95

Code:
    <CHARACTERISTIC-LIST>
    	<CHARACTERISTIC TYPE="BOOKMARK">
    		<PARM NAME="NAME" VALUE="Forum Nokia"/>
    		<PARM NAME="URL" VALUE="http://forumnokia.mobi"/>
    	</CHARACTERISTIC>
    </CHARACTERISTIC-LIST>

Thanks for d code Traud,

I tried this code but its not receiving on the device, I used this with with w2 App-id,.

This example is no OMA CP but Nokia SmartMessage. This XML was complete.