Discussion Board

Help Build HelloWorld

Hie guys.

I a newbie in this field. I recently dwnloaded S60 3rd Edition FP 1 and installed it successfully. When i tried building the application i got some errors that i could not understand. Can someone pliz help. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. Below is the output from my session:

>bldmake bldfiles
    >abld build winscw udeb

make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S60_3R~1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S60_3R~1\Exampl
    es\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILE VERBOSE=-s
    perl -S makmake.pl -D \Symbian\9.2\S60_3R~1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD WINSCW
    ERROR: Unable to identify a valid CodeWarrior for Symbian OS installation
    make: *** [MAKEFILEHELLOWORLD] Error 255
    es\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S60_3R~1\Examp
    les\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW" LIBRARY
    make[1]: \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S60_3R~1\Examples\Bas
    ics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbi
    an\9.2\S60_3R~1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW'.
    Stop.
    make: *** [LIBRARYHELLOWORLD] Error 2
    es\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    les\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW" RESOURCEUDEB
    make[1]: \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\9.2\S60_3R~1\Examples\Bas
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbi
    an\9.2\S60_3R~1\Examples\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW'.
    Stop.
    make: *** [RESOURCEHELLOWORLD] Error 2
    es\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    les\Basics\HelloWorld\HELLOWORLD\WINSCW\HELLOWORLD.WINSCW" UDEB
    Stop.
    make: *** [TARGETHELLOWORLD] Error 2
    es\Basics\HelloWorld\WINSCW.make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s

Re: Help Build HelloWorld

Have you installed code warrior ??? follwing error shows that it didnt identify the codewarrioir......

ERROR: Unable to identify a valid CodeWarrior for Symbian OS installation

I thought after installing Active-Perl and the SDK, one will be in a position to create and test symbian apps.
    Why do i need the Code Warrior? It was not mentioned as required to run S60 apps. If needed what exactly do i need to install as i understand that code warrior is an IDE of which i intend to use Carbide.c++

Thanx in advance

Nokia Developer Moderator

The CodeWarrior-message is some kind of a heritage. So you can use Carbide.c++, however make sure that you have actually clicked on "Configure environment for WINSCW command line" in its program group in the Start menu.
    Also note that "Examples" are nice, but they come from Symbian, and they use a generic UI environment, while S60Ex uses the S60 GUI. I would suggest S60Ex\HelloWorldBasic.

Thanx guys. I forgot to run "Configure environment for WINSCW command line"

Yes it did solve my problem. Keep the team spirit up!!

But one last qstn to clear the air, does it then mean that you can't use the commandline tools without Carbide.c++? Why i say so is becoz the "Configure environment for WINSCW command line" is part of carbide.c++ installation.
    Last edited by quaspam@yahoo.com; 2007-10-12 at 13:33. Reason: Updating

Nokia Developer Moderator

Indeed. You cannot compile to the emulator without having an IDE, or applying some tricks and hacks. The SDK contains tools for compiling to device targets only (and it still might need some additional tools - I cannot check, since I already have some IDE-s installed).

Thanx for the info.

Do you know anywhere on the Internet where i can find a step by step tutorial on how to write a simple S60 app. I say so coz almost everything in the S60Ex is greek to me as i said earlier on that i'm quite new.

Will be happy if you help.

Cheers!!!

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Help Build HelloWorld

Quote Originally Posted by quaspam@yahoo.com View Post
    Thanx for the info.

Do you know anywhere on the Internet where i can find a step by step tutorial on how to write a simple S60 app. I say so coz almost everything in the S60Ex is greek to me as i said earlier on that i'm quite new.

Will be happy if you help.

Cheers!!!
    Try this .PDF: Symbian OS Basics - Workbook v3.0

Kiran.

Super Contributor

Hi ,

Check this link it will guide you how to make applications and getting started with symbian..

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...uickstart.html

Quote Originally Posted by quaspam@yahoo.com View Post
    Thanx for the info.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Thank you guys let me get down and see if i can work out something. The resources you pointed me to are so helpful.