Discussion Board

Diff between AIW Service Handler/Phone Client Dial APIs

Hi all,

I am working on s60 3.1 to develop/port a VoIP Client.
    I have also downloaded the Extensions Plug-in for 3.1.
    (Right now, I do not have any device for testing Extensions Plug-in. but will get one soon.)

In the Extensions Plug-in, it seems there are two sets of APIs that can be used for making a Voice/Video/VoIP Call.

1) AIW Service Handler APIs as illustrated in http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...and_VoIP_calls
    (
    How does the above example work?
    Does this Service Handler API be responsible for filling SDP/Negotiating SDP/Setting up RTP streams etc?
    )

2) Phone Client Dial APIs as I could understand(from the documentation) and other post http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=114954

Queries:
    1. Is my understanding correct?
    If yes,
    - Why are there two different sets of APIs?
    - What are the differences between these two sets of APIs? OR
    - What are the significance of these APIs? (well... i could not make out much from the documentation.)

2. In both the cases, I could NOT FIND the relevant functions for getting Notifications for Incoming Events.

3. Any Application would need MultimediaDD capability to use AudioProxyServer APIs.
    But, if Application uses any of the above defined APIs does it still need MultimediaDD capability? i.e., can the capabilities be granted to DLLs and Exes alike?
    e.g., say a DLL requires a MultimediaDD capability which is granted by Symbian/Manufacturer, then any application can use that DLL directly and in turn effectively inherit that capability. is it possible?
    OR is the capabilities granted only to Applications?

thx for the response...
    rgds,
    vasu

Re: Diff between AIW Service Handler/Phone Client Dial APIs

hi,i am doing the same job,and have some same questions.
    "2. In both the cases, I could NOT FIND the relevant functions for getting Notifications for Incoming Events."
    i found a solution in "http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/How_to_get_incoming_voip_call_sip_uri"

Re: Diff between AIW Service Handler/Phone Client Dial APIs

hi,

Why do we need the method you suggested for an incoming call?

S60 3.1 already has an example (namely, SIPExample) for getting incoming SIP request(i.e. extend/implement IncomingRequest() functions of MSIPConnectionObserver and MSIPObserver classes. right?)

This is working on S60 3.1 emulator.
    (but not sure of the behaviour on Nokia phones which would have a default VoIP Client.)

What I was searching in AIWService*/PhoneClientDial* classes was high-level APIs for
    - performing Call operations(Making,Breaking,Hold,Resume etc.,) for any protocol(SIP,Cellular, etc.,).

rgds,
    vasu