Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

*.SIS vs. *.SISX

Hello

Since I've upgraded from Carbide C++ version 1.1 to 1.2, I get two different files in my application's "sis"-folder (I'm using a valid developer cert):
    - SIS
    - SISX

I can't install the SIS-file on my Nokia N95. On the other side the SISX-file works fine.

Now my question: Which of the above files do I have to distribute to
    1) the end-users for self-signing?
    2) symbian-signed for freeware-signing?

Thank you for your help

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: *.SIS vs. *.SISX

The .sis file is the unsigned one, that is why it does not install - it can be signed by you or the users (I suppose the question was about distributing an unsigned file, and the users sign it with their developer certificates).
    The .sisx file is signed (even with the certificate you have set, or an automatically generated self-signed one), that is why it installs.

Ah, o.k. I understand! Thank you for solving the problem!

Another question concerning the SISX-file:
    Can I rename the SISX-file to SIS for distribution or should I keep the default file extension?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickfrei View Post
    Can I rename the SISX-file to SIS for distribution or should I keep the default file extension?
    .sisx is the "more official" ( <= means: I do not know), and it explicitly identifies that the file is for Symbian 9.x, however .sis is also acceped by current devices (if it is in the new format of course).

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: *.SIS vs. *.SISX

Just to add,

When you submit your application to Test House, you need to submit .SIS file, not .SISx file.

Kiran.

Super Contributor

Just to add another information, some developers distribute signed application in .sis extension. Symbian Signed also sends a signed application in .sis extension. It should not really matter for the device; so don't worry too much about the extension.

For me, I normally prefer .sis for unsigned and .sisx for signed so that I can distinguish them easily.
    Antony Pranata
    http://www.antonypranata.com/
    http://www.s60tips.com/

Nokia Developer Champion

There's a good reason to keep all distributable Symbian 9 installation packages with the .sisx extension, and then all versions for earlier Symbian versions with the .sis extension.

Namely, then you can also map the MIME types properly on web/WAP servers:

x-epoc/x-sisx-app for .sisx files (Symbian 9 and later)

and

application/vnd.symbian.install for .sis files (pre-Symbian 9)

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by antonypr View Post
    Just to add another information, some developers distribute signed application in .sis extension. Symbian Signed also sends a signed application in .sis extension. It should not really matter for the device; so don't worry too much about the extension.

For me, I normally prefer .sis for unsigned and .sisx for signed so that I can distinguish them easily.
    Hi

If we distribute the .sisx which is generated by Carbide.c++ IDE, it run well on devices which only allow the signed app?

The certificates, which we must pay cost for symbiansigned.com to get, it only tell users that this is a commercial product of some company?

If we want to ear money from our app when users use our .sisx (which is generated by Carbide.c++ IDE, but we dn't pay any cost for symbiansigned.com to get certificates), it is ok?

The extension of the file is largely irrelevant, it's internal format is what counts and of course it must be properly signed with a trusted enough certificate.

It is also irrelevant if the file is generated by Carbide.c++ or by any other IDE, ultimately they are all calling SDK's makesis.exe to create the sis file and then signsis.exe to sign it with the specified certificate.

On S60 3rd Edition and later, all devices require the applications to be signed. What may differ is how the app is signed (with which certificate) and what are phone's default settings (some default to rejecting uncertified apps but that setting can be changed by the user).

Your application can be signed with a self-generated certificate (aka self-signed) but this type of signing:
    a) will trigger a notification that the application is not to be trusted (possibly bad quality, untrusted supplier)
    b) will only work if the application does not require any capabilities from outside the basic capability group.
    c) is not accepted for distribution by Ovi Store so you can only distribute it through your own web site, implementing your own e-store and payment methods

On the other hand, if you do obtain a Publisher ID ($200/year and must be a company) you can then have your application Symbian Signed certified (minimum $20 per signing) and all the above problems disappear.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hi ltomuta,

Thanks for your useful comments.

A question more,
    $200 for a Publisher ID to use in a year? and we must lost $20 when we sign our app?

And there is any way to test an app using CTelephony without sign?
    Last edited by vietdoor; 2010-01-19 at 10:27.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by vietdoor View Post
    Hi ltomuta,

Thanks for your useful comments.

A question more,
    $200 for a Publisher ID to use in a year? and we must lost $20 when we sign our app?

And there is any way to test an app using CTelephony without sign?
    try usign OpenSigned online which is free

Open Signed Online is a free signing option for R&D purposes. For commercial releases the cheapes certification option (although subject to limitations) is Express Signed which costs $20 per signing. Which is not $20 lost but $20 worth of service gained

Publisher ID is required before certification and the price is indeed $200 per year.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Open Signed Online is a free signing option for R&D purposes. For commercial releases the cheapes certification option (although subject to limitations) is Express Signed which costs $20 per signing. Which is not $20 lost but $20 worth of service gained

Publisher ID is required before certification and the price is indeed $200 per year.
    If i dn't pay $200 for a next year, my signed app or Publisher ID will be expired? And if my Publisher ID is expired, another company can use my Publisher ID, there will be 2 apps with the same Publisher ID? What happens with those apps on the same device?

Quote Originally Posted by vietdoor View Post
    If i dn't pay $200 for a next year, my signed app or Publisher ID will be expired? And if my Publisher ID is expired, another company can use my Publisher ID, there will be 2 apps with the same Publisher ID? What happens with those apps on the same device?
    Your application will still work even if your publisher ID expire, just that you wont be able to sign any more fresh applications(or updates).
    Your Publisher ID is not re-distributed, so your latter queries are not valid happenings in real life.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Your application will still work even if your publisher ID expire, just that you wont be able to sign any more fresh applications(or updates).
    Your Publisher ID is not re-distributed, so your latter queries are not valid happenings in real life.
    Ya, there isn't any more updates, but i think that my old app and some new app will have the same Publisher ID on the same device in some case. What happens in that case?