Discussion Board

Red face Button labels over fullscreen movie

Hello all,

I'm a professional Java programmer preparing for J2ME development. As usual, I need to scratch my personal itch - as it is with most open source projects. Before I set off to make my own media player, I thought I might ask here first if anyone should know about more subtle solution.

The problem being: I bought Nokia 3109 as it has most funcs my previous 6230 (which I have for like 4 years, it sure is a keeper), but without camera, which I can't take into production environments, you know. It has movie player, but when I switch full screen, two HUGE contrasty button labels hover permanently over the picture: Pause, Back. It's unwatchable, cos the font covers like 1/3 of the image area. Who could have done such monstrosity is beyond me... Normal button labels are in small, black, thin font, positioned horizontally just "above" HW buttons. But these two? Vertical, gargantuous, bold and with a white outline. It's almost like on purpose, to make fullscreen useless...

Now, does anybody have a clue as to how to get rid of these? I'd prefer some config change over reprogramming the whole app, but I'm afraid it won't be as easy as that. I haven't found any S40 movie player alternative, so I'm getting ready for my own implementation and starting to read media API specs... :-/

Perhaps internationalization might help - redefining the text to empty strings... but I don't know yet how it works on Nokias.

Thanks for any suggestions, source to start with or better yet, config hack or ready-made alt. movie player URL to help save me some time!

See you,
    David

Re: Button labels over fullscreen movie

That's great! Thank you all for trying!!

I mean I know how many programmers sneer down at colleagues less experienced in their particular field, when they reach certain level of coding mastery, but I expected I'd find here at least a few guys who would try to help, drop a line, whatever... I have been programming since I was 9, over 18 years. I think in terms of algorithms and decomposition. I've been coding operating systems, embedded devices, security tools, kernels, exploits, GUI, you name it... mostly in C and assembly, but even those ridiculous "business"/SOA apps in Java and .NET. Every time somebody who knows me is at their wits end, he turns to me and I'm actually glad I can help him. So I really wonder what goes on in minds of all those half-baked "gurus", or average Tom, Dick and Harry programmers who made a few by-the-book apps so far, when somebody asks them for help. Is it like "How dare you! I'm a great programmer now and it took me this long to get where I am. You actually think I'll give you my precious knowhow just like that you fool? No way!" Don't be afraid of competition! Don't be mean, just to make yourself feel better. Don't feed your ego. There isn't any competition, this is not a race. Programming is an art, it's a creative process. It's not about how much or little one knows, it's about fantasy, intellect and creativity. Everybody can get brushes, colors and painting lessons, but only an artist can make a timeless painting.

Never mind. I've already written the media player I wanted. The GUI is no eye candy, but it does what I wanted. Gotta love Java, it's like Lego: brick-box for kids, right?

Bye.

Re: Button labels over fullscreen movie

Hi

Could you send me the program you've written!
    I have the same problem with my phone as you, but I can't write programs in Java.
    Thanks