Discussion Board

How do I generate my own content certificate for a 7650

I want to create a certificate, make it available on a website for download, download it onto a 7650, and then have it marked as trusted by the Installer.

I know I need to have the mime-type configured as application/vnd.wap.wtls-ca-certificate. I also know the certificate needs to be in a binary format, not PEM. Looking at the Nokia OK certificate that is already on the phone, it seems that it needs to be an X509 cert with an RSA key. I believe that I use

openssl genrsa -out my.key 1024

to generate the key. The Symbian SDK tools only support DSA keys so they're no use.

How do I generate the certificate?

Can I generate a certificate which is implicitly trusted by the Application Manager, or do I have to go to the trust settings in Settings-Security-Certificate Management and manually do that after the certificate has been downloaded and installed?

I do *not* want a CSR. I'm aware that Nokia OK have a monopoly on signed certificates trusted by the Application Manager. I simply want a self-signed certificate that can be installed on the phone.

TIA!

Nokia Developer Moderator

RE: How do I generate my own content certificate for a 7650

> I want to create a certificate, make it available on a website for download, download it onto a 7650, and then have it marked as trusted by the Installer.

Which means that the application installation file is digitally signed with a trusted key. If the installation package is signed with a different key, the name of the key is visibile in the application installation process. However it is not trusted. But the source is known.

>Can I generate a certificate which is implicitly trusted by the Application Manager, or do I have to go to the trust settings in Settings-Security-Certificate Management and manually do that after the certificate has been downloaded and installed?

If you use your own certificate, then you need to configure the settings.

Everyone installing the application needs to do the similar procedure, install the certificate and make the configurations before your application installation can be trusted.

Regards,
    Forum Nokia Developer Support