Discussion Board

Thread: Some Queries

Question URGENT HELP PLEASE

i m having few queries..plz help me with it plzzzzzzz

1) i have nokia6630 EGPRS conncetion, i have installed racoon 0.9.2 bundled with 1.3.17 racoon, when m running my raccon other things dont seem to work fast on the fone like copying or sending or even browsing well maybe tat is coz of less ram... does this affect the way racoon acts with the GPRS signal i mean .... problem is tat i get connected and get dc very quickly...

2) i have done a speed test from my phone from a web browser which shows this result

url of the test speed site http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

i did a 50k speed test in html page it gave me speed as

31kbit/sec

2.516s latency

15.115 d/l time

---------------

can u suggest me wat setting should i keep in my racoon software i mean the keepalivemax interval & latency also wat shud be reconnect interval.. the default seem to keep me offline a lot

3) what can be done to make the site stay online for max time as my gprs connection gets disconnected if not active...

please help me with this i will be very happy to run my site for the maximum time... i get good speeds on cell but problem is the connection if gets inactive gets to act strange wat can be done to keep the connection active wth the gateway

waiting for replies...
    Last edited by CooLTooL; 2007-10-18 at 21:44.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by CooLTooL View Post
    1) i have nokia6630 EGPRS conncetion, i have installed racoon 0.9.2 bundled with 1.3.17 racoon, when m running my raccon other things dont seem to work fast on the fone like copying or sending or even browsing well maybe tat is coz of less ram... does this affect the way racoon acts with the GPRS signal i mean .... problem is tat i get connected and get dc very quickly...
    Raccoon uses a fair amount of memory, so when it's running, there's less RAM for other applications.

I'm not quite sure what the situation is, and it may actually be operator dependent, but it may be so that with GPRS you cannot have more connections but one, so if Raccoon is running you may not be able to browse, and vice versa. When talking on the phone, the connection will probably be broken, but it should recover.

can u suggest me wat setting should i keep in my racoon software i mean the keepalivemax interval & latency also wat shud be reconnect interval.. the default seem to keep me offline a lot
    The default setting means that the optimal keepalive frequency - not too infrequent so that the connection breaks, not too frequent so that the battery is drained - is adjusted as needed depending on the context. So, we start with a period of 3 seconds and increase that until a maximum of 300 is reached, but only if it works. I case of connection loss we revert to last known good value and stay there, but occasionally try to increase it (not ever over 300). You can read more about the approach here http://research.nokia.com/files/NRC-TR-2006-005.pdf.

However, apparently the NAT bindings of a TCP/IP connection, should stay valid for up to 2 hours without any extra effort.

Try fixing the interval at, say 60, and see whether it works.

3) what can be done to make the site stay online for max time as my gprs connection gets disconnected if not active...
    You can always hardwire the keepalive interval at a low value (say 10). That should keep you connected, but will quickly drain your battery.

Johan

Re: Some Queries

battery drain is not a problem for me i connect my charger to phone when i use racoon or even browse from cell... so tat aint a problem.. thats for the help.. will try out the solutions and give a reply.. thanks johan sir

thanks the setting are working charm..... i got 1 more question...

can there be updated python scripts for racoon as for the MWS

Nokia Developer Expert

can there be updated python scripts for racoon as for the MWS
    Sure, look under \data\apache\mod_python. There're just the few concept demos, but you can add other scripts as many as you like.

Johan

yes i know where the scripts are but what i want to know is that wud MWS's (the mymobilesite.net application) scripts ... work on racoon (at.openlaboratory.net application)....

can i have the scripts tat r u used in MWS as i said i own a Nokia6630 so i cannot install or extract(files of) Mobile Web Server (the mymobilesite.net application) on the phone...

can any1 please extract the contents of MobileWebServer.sis file in a zip or rar file and send me on djcooltool@gmail.com i wud like to see the new modified scripts.. coz its python scripts i think it will work on racoon too... so i want to give em a try or maybe get some ideas and write my own script please do the need full that will be very appriceable

Nokia Developer Expert

can i have the scripts tat r u used in MWS as i said i own a Nokia6630 so i cannot install or extract(files of) Mobile Web Server (the mymobilesite.net application) on the phone...
    You don't need a S60v3 phone to see what is inside a S60v3 sis-file. For instance, http://www.symbian-toys.com/sisxplorer.aspx allows you to look into a sis-file and see what it contains.

... i wud like to see the new modified scripts.. coz its python scripts i think it will work on racoon too... so i want to give em a try or maybe get some ideas and write my own script please do the need full that will be very appriceable
    The scripts of MWS have been pre-compiled, so unfortunately they will not be of that much inspirational value. Copying them straight to Raccoon might in some cases work, but there definitely will be some problems. For instance, the S60v2.x version of Raccoon uses mod_python version 3.1 and MWS uses version 3.3.

Johan