Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

porting to 3rd edition

I am afraid to port my application to 3rd edition since i dont understand ensymble and the rest of concern below. I hope somebody will enlighten me.

1.why there is "open ssl" in ensymble? I just want to comple my PY. Im not familiar with UNIX tunnel.

2. why when i open the ensymble.py (using notepad) it has a UNREADABLE SQUARE BLOCK of letters in its body. Do i downloaded a corrupted file?

3. I know that I need to sign my SIS to make it install on 3rd edition mobile phone. But why in 3rd edition it has calling "self sign", "signed", "unsigned", "devcert sign". Too many many SIGN confuses school bus drivers.

4. Is there any reading materials like mobilenin website, where i can follow an step by step procedure to create SISX so that it can be install on my new phone? I bought my first Nokia E50 yesterday. yehey.

Please enlighten me....

---signed rsf

Super Contributor

Re: porting to 3rd edition

1. OpenSSL is a library for cryptographical operations and also a command line tool for making use of that library. Ensymble uses it to digitally sign SIS packages. Symbian OS requires SIS signing. It is possible to create SIS files without digital signatures ("unsigned") but no 3rd Edition phone will accept such SIS files.

OpenSSL is also used by many other programs to encrypt network traffic. These features of OpenSSL are not used by Ensymble.

2. I've made pre-squeezed versions of Ensymble available and you probably downloaded one of them. If you open it in Notepad, it really is a couple of lines of Python followed by a lot of "noise". That's normal. The noise is infact encoded version of Ensymble and everything it needs, so users of Ensymble don't need to download several files, just one. (Well, apart from the OpenSSL command line tool, but only on Windows.)

3. Welcome to the world of digital signatures. It is quite a large topic, so I suggest you start from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signatures

As I pointed out, Symbian OS requires any SIS file to contain a digital signature. Fortunately, you can generate one yourself and the phone accepts it, but limits what your program can do. To get more features available (called "capabilities" in Symbian OS) you need to obtain a more potent digital signature. One way is to request a free developer certificate from http://www.symbiansigned.com, but those are limited to one phone only (i.e. the SIS file will only install in one phone of your choosing).

4. Search my posts on this discussion board.

Regular Contributor

Thanks!

Some more final question:
    1. Where can I find step-by-step way to use ensymble for my PY?

2. Definitely i will come up with a problem for distributing my signed sisx as commercial software to be downloaded from internet? as you said that only my phone can run it. Any work around?

Thank for the information.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rsf View Post
    1. Where can I find step-by-step way to use ensymble for my PY?

2. Definitely i will come up with a problem for distributing my signed sisx as commercial software to be downloaded from internet?
    1. Ensymble does many things automatically. If you're merely testing things, it can be as simple as:

Code:
    ensymble.py py2sis myapp.py
    This assumes you don't need any fancy capabilities, like network connectivity. See the Ensymble README and the "--caps" option for information. Also, UID is randomly selected (option "--uid") and a default self-signed certificate is used (options "--cert" and "--privkey"), so packages generated this way are not suitable for wide distribution.

2. There's a freeware signing process on Symbian Signed. I really don't know how that works.

In any case, what you need to do first is to register at http://www.symbiansigned.com. This will give you access to documentation and tools for the signing process.

Regular Contributor

i try the simple test. but i give me "ensymble.py: no valid OpenSSL command line tool found in PATH" error.

I try PATH instruction on "http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=242953#post242953"

although I never find any C:\OPENSSL\BIN. Although I already install the stunnel.exe but it has no OPENSSL.EXE inside the directory.

do you think something is missing in my STUNNEL installtion?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rsf View Post
    Although I already install the stunnel.exe
    You're supposed to install openssl.zip, not stunnel.exe. openssl.zip can be found way down the page on http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html. It contains three files: openssl.exe, libeay32.dll and libssl32.dll. Make a directory C:\openssl\bin and copy these three files there. Then add C:\openssl\bin to your PATH as described in the link you gave.