Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Displaying of cell info

Hi, I understand that NOKIA phones are able to display cell infos which is a function that we can activate using our phone. For example in Singapore I can receive a description such as "Clementi Road". Is it possible to extract this data using python? If yes, is it only for the 3ed phones?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Displaying of cell info

Quote Originally Posted by nick_santa83 View Post
    Hi, I understand that NOKIA phones are able to display cell infos which is a function that we can activate using our phone. For example in Singapore I can receive a description such as "Clementi Road". Is it possible to extract this data using python? If yes, is it only for the 3ed phones?
    Hello nick_santa83

Well there are'nt any public libraries to access the cellinfo display from a device as yet! But it is possible.But we will have to wait for an extension.Till now what we can get is the cellid from the location module.Also You can the extended gsm location of Berger ! You can get a link to elocation on my page!

Hope that helps
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply
    Is it possible to get the display cellinfo by using other programming languages?

Did you wrote the book?
    I saw the list of examples available(http://www.mobilenin.com/mobilepythonbook/examples.html ) but when i tested no.50 and no.95-100 on my N70, i encountered error. I dont have a E:, so i changed it to C: instead. What could be wrong? For the GSM tracking, it does not exit when i press exit and when i press save location, there was some error.
    For the second example, I got error in line 85.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_santa83 View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    Is it possible to get the display cellinfo by using other programming languages?

Did you wrote the book?
    I saw the list of examples available(http://www.mobilenin.com/mobilepythonbook/examples.html ) but when i tested no.50 and no.95-100 on my N70, i encountered error. I dont have a E:, so i changed it to C: instead. What could be wrong? For the GSM tracking, it does not exit when i press exit and when i press save location, there was some error.
    For the second example, I got error in line 85.
    Hello nick_santa83

No i havent written the python book.Its written by Jurgen and Ville Tuulos. Its a great book though for beginners and intermediates.Well I had the same problem that you face in the gsm locater application when i was going through the examples.I have tested some selected examples too from the link.
    The bug in the gsm locator is that there is a function named save_dictionary which is used in the code and isnt defined that.I think that is missed out!
    Anyways the function is used in the last or the exiting part of the program so no problems in running the script though we cant exit by the exit handler and the application crashes.We can solve this by defining the function save_dictionary. and it can be done as

def save_dictionary(self, file = None):
    """saves the symbol dictionary state

**INPUTS**

*STR file* -- name of the file in which to save the dictionary
    (usually None to use the same file sym_file specified when
    CmdInterp was initialized)

**OUTPUTS**

*none*
    """
    self.known_symbols.save(file = file)
    In the above quote """ and ** are used for including description.Hope you get it.And here file can be used as the location of the text file which we use.You said that E: is not available on ur device that means you are not using a memory card.You can change the path of the text file to C: instead of E:
    What error do you get when you try to save the name of the location?
    I dont face any difficulties (errors) as such.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I dont have my phone with me now, will post the error messages that I have.

Oh, any idea if other programming languages is able to obtain the display cell info? If yes, which are the ones?

Does anyone know where this info is stored in the phone?
    What is the elocation module about? i tried accessing Berger's website but failed. What is it able to extract?

Sorry for the many questions asked. Heh

Thanks once again
    Last edited by nick_santa83; 2007-10-30 at 08:02.

Regular Contributor

Hello,

Is cell info retrieval now possible for S60 3rd ed.? I see google maps doing it on my N93.

If yes, which libraries are required and where can they be obtained.

Best,
    wirefree

Hello wirefree101

You can't as yet extract the cell info detail through python for S60 as there are no modules for ir yet.However what you can get is a cellid.You can get this by simply using the location or elocation module on your 3rd edition device. And yes the python shell in 3rd must be signed with the dev cert with the reqd caps as well..

Hope that helps
    croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com