Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

3rd Edition FP1 Emulator crashes on startup

I've installed Carbide and the 3rd Edition FP1 SDK.

But I have a problem running the emulator - when I start it up, it sits there for a minute or so and then silently exits.

I have checked the prerequisites, and they seem fine.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the SDK, and that has not helped.

I have installed the patch from here:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...1_emulator.htm
    but that has not helped.

The 2nd Edition FP3 Emulator seems to work happily on the same machine.

What could possibly be wrong ?

Thanks,

Richard

Re: 3rd Edition FP1 Emulator crashes on startup

I've done a lot more digging into this, but without any real results. All the 3rd edition emulators I have tried seem to suffer the same problem. The failure in epocwind.out is below.

I am now completely stumped. Any sugestions for what might be wrong would be very welcome. Thanks!

4.360 CDirWatcher::RunL ->
    4.360 c:\private\101f51f2\rdb\f
    4.360 -3
    4.360 CDirWatcher::RunL <-
    4.365 OOD WATCHER: Notified on drive C, Free: 0x468655000
    4.365 OOD WATCHER: Entering normal mode on drive C
    4.370 OOD WATCHER: Notified on drive C, Free: 0x468655000
    4.370 OOD WATCHER: Entering normal mode on drive C
    4.370 FontProvider: Category=3, TextPane Height=21; mapped request=18; typeface=Series 60 Sans TitleSmBd, actual range=20(a,d,exa,exd=14 4 3 -1)
    4.370 FontProvider: Category=3, TextPane Height=17; mapped request=14; typeface=Series 60 Sans TitleSmBd, actual range=15(a,d,exa,exd=10 4 3 -2)
    4.380 FAULT: Exception 0x10000000 (268435456)

Super Contributor

What Desktop OS are you running the emulator on?

Make sure justintime in epoc.ini is set to none or query.
    http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...tax.guide.html

The fault is just the underlying OS reporting an exception (normally this relates to some kind of hardware issue.
    Last edited by Paul.Todd; 2007-10-29 at 11:23.

Paul - thanks. I'm running on XP SP2.

JustInTime was set to none. I'll set it to query and see if I get any new clues...

I get a query dialog with this:

Program AknIconSrv.exe::!AknIconServer
    Error Exception: 268435456

The call stack in VS is not very informative without symbols. The crash is in ekern.exe!0096c976(), called from libopenvg.dll, called from svgengine.dll

Does any of that suggest anything to you ?

Super Contributor

Which version of carbide.vs are you using?

I would recommend you download carbide.c++ and try that.

Oh, I am using carbide C++ for Symbian. My Visual Studio install is for other work.

And, if it helps any, other S60 3rd edition emulator installs that came along with Symbian Java SDKs also fail in the same way. that seems to be the same emulator, but installed in a different place.

Super Contributor

I can't understand this sentence "The call stack in VS is not very informative without symbols"

Sorry - let me expand on what I did.

I turned on just-in-time debugging in epoc.ini, started up the emulator, and saw the emulator's dialog asking if I wanted to debug.

I said yes, and Visual Studio (which is configured for JIT debugging of Windows apps) fired up.

So, then I was looking at the stack dump for the crashed emulator in Visual Studio. And, because I don't have the symbol files for the emulator, the stack was not very informative.

Does that make more sense ?

Super Contributor

It sounds like visual studio is grabbing the process to debug and not letting carbide handle it, so you are effectivly running a debugger inside a debugger.

This is bound to be a problem.
    The other thing is that Symbian uses lots of exceptions (you will see this is nt eh debugger window) to move from Kernel to user space and vice versa.

What version of Visual Studio are you using?

On my initial runs, when VS did not have JIT debugging turned on, the emulator would just quit at this point.

It would do that both when run from Carbide and from the Start menu. So, I don't think this is an exception that the emulator was going to catch itself - I think it has suffered some condition it cannot handle & it is going down.

Can you suggest any way to encourage Carbide to catch it ? I've looked for any JIT options in Carbide, but not found them.

This is VS2005, by the way.

Super Contributor

On the Carbide.vs 2005 beta someone else is reporting exactly the same problem as you but at the moment its just plain not reproducable in the test environment.

If you go to Tools|Options:

Select the Debugging|Just In-Time Node, all JIT debugging is switched off?
    Nothing is selected in native?
    Also, "Break when exceptions cross AppDomain or Managed/native boundary" is switched off.

Also, if you look in Program files\Java and Program files\JavaSoft which versions of Java are installed.

Finally if you go to your \symbian\<sdk>\release\winscw folder and manually run epoc.exe what happens?

Also are there any problems listed in the system or appliction event log in Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Event Log round about the time you started the emulator.

Likewise are there any devices that are not function correctly in the System|Device manager (These have a yellow ! next to them.

Yes, everything is turned off in VS's Tools/Options, as you describe.

In Program Files\Java, I have two directories - jdk1.5.0_13 and jre1.5.0_13. I have no Program Files\Java Soft.

When I run epoc.exe by hand, I get the same outcome - the emulator comes up & then silently exits.

I've been looking in the event log. On one or two occasions, I have seen this warning:
    "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts." with EventID 4226 at about the right time, but I have not seen it consistently, and I have not been able to catch epoc.exe with a lot of ports in a half-open state. And, if that were really the problem, I would hope to see a complaint in the epoc log about a failure to open a port.

In Device Manager, I see one yellow exclamation in Network Adapters, againt Packet Scheduler Miniport #6, and another in System Devices against Virtual PC Application Services. Disabling both of those devices does not change the outcome.

Do you have any access to the source or symbol files for the emulator ? With those we could see where in the emulator's code the crash ocurred.

Super Contributor

There are no Symbols for the emulator for S60, there are for UIQ 3.x however.
    The rest looks ok - I have 09 and 012 java versions installed.

What anti virus are you running?
    Are the SDK's are installed on c: in the default folders?

You hav'nt changed anything in the epoc.ini file - MegabytesOfFreeMemory should be set to 32

You did install Active Perl 5.6.1 build 631?

Your default language on the machine is english?

Antivirus is AVG, but turning that off makes no difference.

SDKs are in their default locations.

One of them has been uninstalled & reinstalled, which bizzarely results in a different default location (C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_1 instead of C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1)
    But the ones that have only been installed once also break.

Nothing changed in epoc.ini.

I'm actually on ActivePerl 5.6.1 build 635. Let me just uninstall that and put 631 on...

Same problem.

Default language is English.

Do you know (or have any way of finding out) what AknIconServer is ? That ought to offer some clue about the nature of the problem.

Super Contributor

Thje reinstallation issue is working correctly, it will change the number depeding on the number of installations you have made.

AKNIconServer generates icons and images.

Unfortunatly there are no Symbols for S60, you might want to try the UIQ sdk wich does have stack symbols so you could at least get a stack trace through the Symbian code.

Unfortunatly I can't really see anything particularly wrong with your setup so I don't know what to suggest next.