Discussion Board

[announce] Sydewynder 0.1

A brand new version of Sydewynder is out! Sydewynder is an SMS receiver and sender application written in Python for S60 phones. It automates the responses of messages and can be used as a mobile application server. It very useful for prototyping mobile applications and educational projects. You can grab it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sydewynder/

Sydewynder more or less works like a server running on a Python-enabled Nokia. For one project, I started up Sydewynder and left my N80 in a locker for two weeks while it received text messages from gallery visitors and sent them back responses. Worked beautifully.

In this newest version, I added an emulator so that students can develop Python scripts on their desktop machines, without the need to have an S60. The teacher can then collect all the scripts and run them from his or her classroom phone. I also added simple calls for fetching URLs over WiFi and way for persisting the connection to an access point using sockets. There's a cool little example script included that takes an emotion word from SMS senders, reaches out to wefeelfine.org, pulls out the latest post in the blogosphere with that word in it, and returns 160 chars of that post to the SMS sender. Fun example using a cool Web API.

You'll need the latest PyS60 (1.4.0 or better) to run it because of the access point code.

We're going to be teaching our students here at Parsons Design and Technology department to write mobile apps using this. If anyone has further suggestions, uses, or just bug reports, don't hesitate to let me know here or on the SourceForge site.

Re: [announce] Sydewynder 0.1

Oy, I'm the dork who's replying to his own message, but I wanted to send out this update. I just put up another version (0.1.1) that includes a Take Screenshot option, which I found handy for documenting apps, and a new sample app that demonstrates how to send out multiple responses to multiple recipient lists. The newest version can be found here.

I presented this to a lot of my students today, so they will be developing with it in the next few weeks. If anybody else finds it useful or interesting, or has suggestions for how this could be done better or more easily, definitely let me know.

Cheers!