Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question License expiration - but which tool?

Hi all,

We've faced with a license expiration problem that we can't solve. Let me describe our problem!

We set up a machine some time ago (half a year?) that we used for building Symbian sw (S60 3rd, UIQ 3, Carbide.C++ Express). Now we'd like to use it again, but we're unable to do even the most basic build (HelloWorldBasic) against WINSCW, because a tool (the compiler?) complains about license expiration. It does it like this:

Code:
    abld build winscw udeb
    <...>.cpp
    Exception: Serial 105992 License expired 8/4/2007
    make[1]: ***
    [\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\EPOC32\BUILD\<...>\group\s60-3\<...>\WINSCW\UDEB\<...>.o]
    Error 1
    There is no problem with GCCE builds. I've already contacted Carbide support team, since I thought it must be their tool that had problems with the license. They said no, it couldn't be. Now we're after removing all Symbian SDKs from the machine and re-installing S60 3rd MR, but the symptoms are still the same.

Has anybody ever seen such a problem? Any solution? Any idea what it could be at all?

Thanks,

Tote

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: License expiration - but which tool?

If I were the Carbide team, I would also say that it is not a problem of the Carbide.
    However considering that GCCE build (which uses the compiler in the SDK) works, and WINSCW build (which uses the compiler bundled with Carbide) does not, I would still guess that it is a Carbide-related problem.
    If the installation happened ~half years ago, an update (or an upgrade to 1.2?) might bring happiness.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    If I were the Carbide team, I would also say that it is not a problem of the Carbide.
    However considering that GCCE build (which uses the compiler in the SDK) works, and WINSCW build (which uses the compiler bundled with Carbide) does not, I would still guess that it is a Carbide-related problem.
    If the installation happened ~half years ago, an update (or an upgrade to 1.2?) might bring happiness.
    Well, I don't think it's that simple. So far Carbide team has been supportive, very fast and ready to suggest solutions. It's just another issue that none of their suggestions has worked actually. :-/ On the other hand, let me cite something from their response:

"...The reason why this appears to be an SDK issue is that the "Windows compiler" (WINSCW) does not come with Carbide but it comes with the SDK."

Well, I was unaware of the fact that it's possible to build without any IDEs installed? Since they said that the SDK contains a compiler. Can anyone confirm that?

Tote

Also try running in verbose mode with abld -v to see what commands are executed in the build process. That may give you some additional hints what is going on in the toolchain.

Lauri

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by laa-laa View Post
    Also try running in verbose mode with abld -v to see what commands are executed in the build process. That may give you some additional hints what is going on in the toolchain.

Lauri
    Thanks, Lauri! I think your suggestion was needed to view the problem from a different angle and now I have the solution!

We've installed the trial version of a code coverage tool on the machine, namely BullseyeCoverage, and what it did upon installation was as follows:
    • replaced the SDK's "Windows compiler", mwccsym2.exe
    • and put the tool's bin directory before Carbide's in PATH variable.

So that eventually Carbide's own compiler never got called. But the problem was that the trial license has expired in the mean time so that we couldn't build at all. Now that I have put BullseyeCoverage's bin directory at the end of PATH, it got cured.

Thanks for helping me! :)

Tote