Discussion Board

using the nokia 6131 nfc as a smartcard with an external reader

Hello,
    I would like to build a system where you can use the Nokia 6131 NFC's internal card as you would use a regular mifare 1k card with an external reader. Can someone explain to me what is to be done? I've read that you can access the secure element only with a signed midlet. Does that mean i'd have to build a midlet as a proxy?
    What I would like to know is how to build a real-life-working system, without the need to unlock the phone. The phone would be used as a rechargable card in a closed payment system.

Re: using the nokia 6131 nfc as a smartcard with an external reader

Hi magustomoe,

If you only want to use the internal mifare tag without an interaction with the phone you don't need to write a midlet!
    But if you want an interaction(show something on the phones display) after the transaction with the mifare tag you need to write a signed application!

Thanks for the input! But the main thing i want to know is how to access the internal secure element as a mifare card from an external reader. Everything I was able to find is that the internal element is coded and that you can unlock it with an unlocking applet but then you cannot install a real application. What I want to know is how to build a real secure application without needing to unlock the phone.

Can someone briefly explain to me what does it mean to install an application inside the secure element and how do you do that or at least point me to some docs which would help explain that?

On the nokia 6131 nfc you have 2 components:

1. Smartcard: Here you can install an applet and communiacte with APDUs (ISO 14443).

2. 4k MiFare Tag: Standart Mifare tag.

Now where you want to install your app?in the smartcard or in the mifare tag?

so the mifare tag and the smartcard are actually treated as separate entities? Could you tell me in a few words what's the difference and which should be used for what?

Currently I am interested into using the mifare tag. what i want to do is to store encrypted data into it, not install applications. I'm still not sure what does it mean to "install an application inside of the smartcard". Can't I just use the mifare tag for storing data? Or is it capable for more advanced things?
    Using an external reader (Pegoda CLRD701) I'm only able to read the manufacturer block of the mifare card simulated by the nokia, i don't know the keys for the other blocks. How could I gain access to those?

Can you recommend a pdf or web page about stuff like this?

With the MiFare tag you can "only" read and store data.
    With the smartcard you can write an applet(javacard application) and install it on the smartcard of the phone, then you can communicate with your external reader and the applet in your phone.

Here you can find more infos:
    Nokia Wiki

Thanks for the info. My main question is this though:
    How do i read and store data onto the mifare tag?
    I want to know how to do it without unlocking the phone. What's the procedure? How do I get the mifare sector keys?

have you tried the keys from the wiki article?
    if these keys don't work you must unlock the phone with the unlock midlet!

Yeah i tried using the ndef standard keys, but those won't work
    And i don't want to unlock the phone. What I'm interested in is what you must do to gain access to the card without unlocking the phone. I'd like to know how to build a commercial application. I can't seem to find the information anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by magustomoe View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to build a system where you can use the Nokia 6131 NFC's internal card as you would use a regular mifare 1k card with an external reader. Can someone explain to me what is to be done? I've read that you can access the secure element only with a signed midlet. Does that mean i'd have to build a midlet as a proxy?
    What I would like to know is how to build a real-life-working system, without the need to unlock the phone. The phone would be used as a rechargable card in a closed payment system.
    I'm trying to build a similar system where I can use the 6131 the same way one uses a MasterCard Paypass, as a form of payment at a POS register with a Vivotech reader. I am no Java expert, but I can write an applet just as easily as I can write a C# application. The applet I've written works fine on the phone, except ofcourse that it does not respond to the NFC field when near the reader. Instead of my applet responding, I get a prompt to open the secure application. I guess the problem I am having is that my applet is not loaded in the Secure Element. So, how do I do that? I am using eclipse; I read thru the documentation for the JavaCard sdk, but I don't have the time for all this. Is there an easy way? Are there local developers near the Tampa, Florida area that can help? Seems I can't even pay for help !

The service we used for unlock the secure element is Nokia NFC Unlock Service MIDlet but, it never ends because appear the following messages:

"The process of unlocking the secure element was not completed". "Source HTTP Post Failed".

We think that is the connection to the 3G (or GPRS) and we try this:

Preferred access point: internet.comcel.com.co
    "internet" settings from Comcel MMS: Single-shot WEB Comcel 3GSM.

Also we try that with Movistar that is annother 3G Colombia provider.

Could someone please help me with this troubles?